The Coffee House

I remember going to see the first Star Wars. For some unknown reason we ended up near the front of the theater, which turned out to be kind of cool because it seemed like things were zooming over our heads. I'll always like the original.

I like Next Generation, and BBC America has been showing the various Star Treks - thank you friends across the sea! Late night I've been watching Twilight Zone sometimes but some of those are just comical, the things they came up with... a Martian walked into a diner and met a man from Venus...

I remember going to see the first Star Wars. For some unknown reason we ended up near the front of the theater, which turned out to be kind of cool because it seemed like things were zooming over our heads. I'll always like the original.

I like Next Generation, and BBC America has been showing the various Star Treks - thank you friends across the sea! Late night I've been watching Twilight Zone sometimes but some of those are just comical, the things they came up with... a Martian walked into a diner and met a man from Venus...

Oh yeah, the Twilight Zone!! Loved that show. Of course, my all time favorite is "Time Enough At Last" with Burgess Meredith. Though it's hard to resist the Shatner episodes :)

Speaking of Star Trek and Shatner, did y'all know that he starred in the film "Incubus" which was filmed entirely in Esperanto? He can overact in more than one language! :laugh2:

Yes! I've actually seen that!!! Twice, late night on TCM Underground (2am Saturdays on Turner Classic Movies, which I usually record...) What a strangely fascinating movie. I found myself picking up Esperanto just watching it. But had to look up exactly what it was.

Twilight Zone for me. Have all the episodes on DVR, watch occasionally.

Oh, last two days working, at lunch found some factory decay, and old buildings. Smart enough not to go in because they were in bad shape. A cop, walked through one factory and I managed to snap his pic as he was coming towards me. I had my camera pointed through a broken window, he kind of startled me. He seen my truck and thought to check me out. Nice guy, glad I wasn't in inside, we spoke for about 5 minutes and ripped off a portrait of him and his modern, bad boy M16. He was cool as heck. Can't wait to develop them....

I have been watching it on Netflix.
How do you like it?

Also, have you watched Stranger Things? I forgot about that one, but I really liked the first season.

Does anyone else on here watch Twin Peaks? It was only out for two seasons in the early 90's; the third season is now currently on Showtime (which the wife and I currently have a free trial, which is slated to end mid-season :grumpy:).

How do you like it?

Also, have you watched Stranger Things? I forgot about that one, but I really liked the first season.

Does anyone else on here watch Twin Peaks? It was only out for two seasons in the early 90's; the third season is now currently on Showtime (which the wife and I currently have a free trial, which is slated to end mid-season :grumpy:).

The X Files is great. I haven't gotten sucked into that one yet like I have some other shows that I discovered on Netflix, but it's not the kind of show that lends itself to binge-watching, at least the first season (which I am still on.) I don't think they quite hit their stride yet in the first season, so the episodes feel more like a series of stand-alones and you don't yet get sucked into the story arc.

Haven't watched Stranger Things or Twin Peaks, but they're on my short list. But after I finish Orange is the New Black. Haven't started on that one yet. I'm saving those for when I resume my morning workout routine next week.

How do you like it?

The X Files is great. I haven't gotten sucked into that one yet like I have some other shows that I discovered on Netflix, but it's not the kind of show that lends itself to binge-watching, at least the first season (which I am still on.) I don't think they quite hit their stride yet in the first season, so the episodes feel more like a series of stand-alones and you don't yet get sucked into the story arc.

Haven't watched Stranger Things or Twin Peaks, but they're on my short list. But after I finish Orange is the New Black. Haven't started on that one yet. I'm saving those for when I resume my morning workout routine next week.
X-Files is kinda like a series of mini stand-alones, but they do tend to mesh and have a common theme the further you get into the series.

Twin Peaks is really weird, but oddly addicting. The wife and I binge watched the first two seasons. The third season right now on Showtime is kinda crazy. It's much more violent and definitely more out-there (hard to believe) than the first two seasons. I feel like I need a CliffsNotes for this season. :boggled:

The wife and I need to start OITNB's latest season--we've been slacking. The wife's one friend is on that show, so it's always neat to see her in the episodes.

Do you watch Master of None? I love Aziz Ansari (and his show) so much!

How do you like it?

Gary and Mary Lou both enjoyed Stranger Things ... Gary's main complaint is that it looks as if it was shot with only one or two cameras.

Gary's main complaint is that it looks as if it was shot with only one or two cameras.
I think that's part of the styling of the show?

Buenas Dias Coffee Hosers. Things are cooling off, the Marine Layer is back and we have more June Gloom and thick morning overcast. It is predicted to hit the low 80's today. The other day when it was 127F in Death Valley, that didn't mean much to Gary, other than an interesting statistic. Death Valley is off the beaten path, and it's not like "real" people have "real" lives there ... with a "real" economy and a high school with a football team, et cetera. Death Valley, in spite of its geological beauty and extreme biological adaptations, is just this quirky destination place for quirky visitors. But the same day the temps reached 122F in Palm Springs. Real people live in Palm Springs with real lives and real families. 122F in Palm Springs is more than a statistic, that is hot. Gary remembers one August day walking down the main drag in Palm Springs ... Not the sidewalk, in the middle of the street. It was early afternoon and hot. It was so hot that nobody was out in the open air, no cars, no buses, no trucks, no pedestrians, no birds, no lizards ... nada. Gary decided to walk down the middle of the street and photograph the ghost town. It was so hot that the glue which held the leather to his Hasselblad liquified and the leather started slipping around. At that point Gary decided that maybe getting out of the sun wasn't a bad idea and ducked into the Hamburger Hamlet which was across the street.

Back then, Palm Springs was like a ski resort. The big department stores and half the city closed down for the summer to reopen in the winter.

Last edited:
Gary's main complaint is that it looks as if it was shot with only one or two cameras.
I think that's part of the styling of the show?
Gary thinks it's the accounting department dictating how to shoot the scenes.
Sure, maybe, maybe not? It sounds like neither of us know the answer. That said, the show is heavily influenced by 1980's films/filmmaking, so the creators were going specifically for the 1980's style.

15 Things You Need to Know About Stranger Things
Watching the show, it would be very easy to believe it had actually been filmed in the 1980s. There’s a very specific feel to movies such as E.T., Halloween, and A Nightmare on Elm Street that makes them immediately identifiable as 80s movies. The Duffers did their best to emulate some of the techniques used in those films, and the effort paid off. The result is a wonderfully nostalgic throwback.

To achieve the 80s feel, the Duffers incorporated as much camera movement as they could, as long as it was justified. This results in some of those long tracking shots through the house and those quintessential 80s slow zooms. And although the filmmakers shot on digital, they added a film grain effect in post-production to better imitate the fuzzy quality of that decade. These techniques all come together in a cohesive way that makes the audience feel immediately immersed in the 80s. Clicking that Netflix play button is like taking a step back in time.

In any event, I'm sure their budget for next season will be bigger, since the show was a hit.

Has any one watched "One Step Beyond"? Sorta like Twighlight Zone, only based on real stories of paranormal and other unexplainable events.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back