The Coffee House

Grew up in AZ and happily recall Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon pre-big buck invasion. The red rocks are still there but it's infested now with Paltrow-ish spas, retreats and New Age commerce. Sad.

We got back from vacation and I think I need another vacation. Busy editing vacation photos and scouted out a location for an upcoming session for my friend's grandson. We are doing a timeless type session. I have a few vintage props and we have the wardrobe figured out.

Then a minor leak upstairs. The condenser hose to the AC unit came out of its slot and filled up the drain pan and overflowed. I'll have to repaint the door and got the water up from the carpet. The downstair's leak area ceiling will need repainting. It could have been much, much worse.

We got back from vacation and I think I need another vacation. B
Saw the pictures, would be hard to leave somewhere that beautiful. We haven't left the state but the last two weeks have worn us out. After Wed we're crashing for a couple days.

Saw the pictures, would be hard to leave somewhere that beautiful. We haven't left the state but the last two weeks have worn us out. After Wed we're crashing for a couple days.
Hope your wife is feeling okay. And no storms your way.

I love the light and colors in Mexico. The air seems so fresh and clear. Must be the ocean. Came back to St Louis and my allergies are killing me.

Hope your wife is feeling okay. And no storms your way.
Hopefully no storms we brought the RV down to the south side of Birmingham. DW has treatment tomorrow, that takes most of the day. To hot for Phoebe and I to sit in the car all day, we'll hanf out in the cool and go back Tuesday. Plan on hitting a couple of new resteraunts. Birmingham south side is loaded with resteraunts. Within 5 miles of us we could try a new one everyday and never get to them all. Surprisingly they're all full.

Hopefully no storms we brought the RV down to the south side of Birmingham. DW has treatment tomorrow, that takes most of the day. To hot for Phoebe and I to sit in the car all day, we'll hanf out in the cool and go back Tuesday. Plan on hitting a couple of new resteraunts. Birmingham south side is loaded with resteraunts. Within 5 miles of us we could try a new one everyday and never get to them all. Surprisingly they're all full.
Nice to have options!

The restaurants around here are always full too. Not sure what recession they’re talking about other than the price gouging! I know when princess is away at school and it’s just dinner for two it’s easier and usually cheaper to order take out or dine out than to shop for groceries and cook.

easier and usually cheaper to order take out or dine out than to shop for groceries and cook.
Not sure about the cheaper part even fast food will dig into your pocket, but DW claims anything she doesn't have to cook tastes better.😁

We haven't been to the Birmingham Galleria Mall since before the pandemic, it's a large sprawling multistory affair with an equally large outdoor retail center next door. We had started to avoid it before the pandemic because the traffic and crowds were horrendous. Today we were amazed at all the empty stores and lack of people. The retail center next door was worse, hardly anything left open. Surprisingly though there are smaller retail centers popping up in neighborhoods everywhere that have full parking lots. Lot of boutique and name brand stores on a smaller scale.

Nice to have options!

The restaurants around here are always full too. Not sure what recession they’re talking about other than the price gouging! I know when princess is away at school and it’s just dinner for two it’s easier and usually cheaper to order take out or dine out than to shop for groceries and cook.
We eat out or get take-out once a week and have leftovers for the next day. Cooking for two is a challenge, but I freeze the leftovers to have another day. My husband eats pork and beef so he usually throws something on the grill and I make the sides. I don't eat red meat and usually have chicken or salmon or just veggies.

We have lots of restaurants around here, never super-packed during the week. I agree with Cheryl about cooking for two - I prefer making a large batch of whatever-it-is to freeze for later. We rarely eat meat - we went for two years without a grill and never thought about it. We finally noticed a pile of fresh zucchini at a farmer's market recently, that made us go get a tiny Weber. Big enough to do all the veggies, with an occasional small batch of chicken wings or my Mediterranean ground lamb patties.

We rarely eat meat - we went for two years without a grill and never thought about it

😲😲😲 no meat? I like my vegetables, but I need something more in the mix. We don't do fried anymore, but the grill, air fryer and Wok get used year round. Beef, pork, chicken, fish are on our menu.

😲😲😲 no meat? I like my vegetables, but I need something more in the mix. We don't do fried anymore, but the grill, air fryer and Wok get used year round. Beef, pork, chicken, fish are on our menu.
We use the air fryer for burgers and steaks. Delicious!! It’s one of the Cuisinart air fryer, air bake, toaster oven combos. Unless I’m baking or feeding a crowd, I rarely need to turn on the big oven. Princess requested homemade Mac n cheese on Saturday when it was cold and rainy. That’s one of the few dishes that I need the big oven for. Mostly because I’m not doing all that for a small batch! The toasted Ritz cracker crust is the secret. No lobstah in this batch.

IMG_2365.jpeg

Same here - at the end of my post up there, I mentioned the chicken wings and seasoned ground lamb patties. I think our beef is mainly consumed in the winter - I like pot roasts and stew. The hubby has excellent baked fish recipes; we don't use the grill for fish.

You and @SquarePeg are beyond my skill sets - I wouldn't know what to do with an air fryer. The concept seems contraindicated. :lol:

wouldn't know what to do with an air fryer.
DW is big on InstaPot and Air Fryer. I go for grill, Cast Iron Pots and stir fry in the Wok. Cooking ribs, beans and Blueberry Struesel in the cast iron pots over an open fire this weekend (weather permitting) at the Lake.

@SquarePeg DW is no slouch in the kitchen but refuses to add the Ritz crackers. My Mom always added the Ritz crackers.....I have to sneak them on on my serving.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back