The concept of Bokeh + C&C

nicholasw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm shooting the Nikon 50mm f/1.4, and I'm getting hexagonal bokeh in my shallow DOF shots, I have found the proper circles to be more pleasing to the eye, is there a way to acheive this? I have "googled" Bokeh and I still do not understand the actual concept of it all. I am new to taking photos, how are my portraits?

3129408836_936ebda198_b.jpg

3129397800_249183dd52_b.jpg

Thanks!

From my understanding from a cinematography standpoint, the circle of confusion- or bokeh- is based on the shape of your iris. It is all dependent on how many blades your iris has.
(At least, that's what movie cameras go by)

I really don't think that these subjects in their stage in life are proper subjects for the 50... Who the hell wants to remember all the fruitless scrubbing and washing..... and embarassment....

Think soft facial features....

Ahahahahahah! ^^^ :thumbup: they're the only models i have at the moment as im still in high school.

Sulfur: By the way is there anyway to fake the shape of the "iris"?

The 50mm f/1.8 has 7 aperture blades and (I think) the f/1.4 has 9. This results in a smoother bokeh for the f/1.4. The hexagonal effects you are seeing probably have to do with distance from camera to subject and subject to background.

Test several variances of the distances. You should be able to eventually find the one that is what you are after.

From your two examples, it seems you have a good hold on how to use it. I particularly like #2 because the background is discernable, but yet out of the way and the subject pops into view. (you just need to crop out the window on the left)

Most reactions

Back