The Conspicuous Photographer

This is the third time I've gone out to shoot and returned without a decent shot and its very frustrating. Personal issues keep me around home during the week; on the weekend, Washington is quiet except for tourists and so I go into Baltimore.

My preference is always not to be part of the scene and to stay inconspicuous. That is almos impossible in Baltimore; Baltimore is a small, mostly African American city and an old white guy with a camera is noticed. I don't mean to say that there is hostility, not at all, but I am not able to walk around taking shots without people being aware of me.

I've tried to stay away from the flea markets, farmers' markets that I've shot at before, looking for something new to interest me. Unfortunately that hasn't happened and I'm getting to the end of my string.

The most I can hope for is a couple of days in NYC in November and maybe, maybe a short trip to Cuba in February.

View attachment 128832

Here's some inspuration for New York trip from a friend on Leica forum
Anonymous New Yorkers - Entire (growing) series - Page 3 - Street Photography

Shoot with something like a Sony RX1R II and learn to ask for permission before you photograph.

Never ask permission if you do the moment has gone, get in and close

28mm on M4P

img381-XL.jpg

Shoot with something like a Sony RX1R II and learn to ask for permission before you photograph.

Never ask permission if you do the moment has gone, get in and close

28mm on M4P

img381-XL.jpg
There be a lot of paranoid, overprotective parents here. Last thing I want is an interview with the Cops as to why I'm photographing some kid.

I've been shooting Street since the 1970's ... typically with two cameras and a camera bag. I am very conspicuous when I shoot, I do not attempt to hide and I rarely if ever ask permission.
My basic Take/Experience as well.
If you shoot on the streets long enough, you develop a sense of what and how to shoot. You get a feel for People or a Single Person. Just somebody's body language and demeanor lets you know what to do.....sometimes you just walk away from a frame.
Then again, looking at some..... we all have a different definition of Street Photography. Some seem to think it means shooting Anybody and Everybody that happens to be on "the street". It helps if there is some kind of reason for people to view the frames you shoot of strangers that happen to be in front of your camera in a public space.
I shoot kids quite often, but again, there needs to be a reason.
Kids playing in a fountain
Kids at a Halloween event
Kids learning to ride a bike
Kids on scooters
etc etc
Letting people see you and your gear, and observing for awhile helps. I show an interest in the Activity more than an interest in The Kid. Then you get close, and down at Kid Level.
Some type of acknowledgement goes a long ways.....a smile. an implied Thank You, a wave.....something to show you are a normal human being.
I shoot film, which also helps. People, if they inquire, are kind of relieved to know that their image is not already on 700 websites before i even leave their view.
Just go out and do it. Your own common sense, and the body language of society will guide you straight enough.

I do not have a problem if people are clearly reacting to me and my camera. You "know someone" for 15 seconds and that is possibly the only time you will ever meet them in your life. Is that not "street"?

TPF__KC1_9331.JPG

Question: Is it still "street" if you shoot people at work?

TPF__KC1_9411.JPG

Question: Is it still "street" if you shoot people at work?

View attachment 129478

What is that on the table? Looks delicious.
That is Philippes the originator of the French Dip. On the plates are French Dips ... delish. I often take visitors to Philippe's and I always get a response of "This is the Best" or "This is one of the best" sandwiches I've ever eaten. Philippe's is one of the better known restaurants in LA. It was established in 1908. On that plate are some pickles and coleslaw.

The_Traveler ---- I saw the blueish tint, but I missed it that a cross development filter was needed.

Thank You!

Not necessarily 'needed' Frank. I just think that the look is a little more piercing with some selective WB changing and a bit of other diddlng around. I also uprighted the walls and column to stop them from attracting my attention.

I love your remix!

Frank, I don't care much for global presets, especially when the light is different all over the place.
Typically, I will try a change and, it it works, will then use a mask to limit it to a specific area.
I like the left side but I think the uniform of the waiter is probably still too blue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back