The Cove

Darton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
WOW this looks sooo much better in the spring and fall but I guess it'll do for now.

IMG_1336.jpg

Ok. Well I'll post the exif data right off the bat
Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 40D
Image Date: 2010:01:28 16:44:14
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 25.0mm
CCD Width: 18.54mm
Exposure Time: 0.020 s (1/50)
Aperture: f/22.0
ISO equiv: 200
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

You see how the sky is just bright and without any kind of detail, and looks hazy? Well that bleeds on down to the mountain range, which is a bit underexposed, giving them a blue hazy look.
Below that you have what appears to be a brown pasture/valley with some animals grazing, and then closer to the camera you have a grassy hill with dull greens and browns.

With your "storytelling aperture" you have kind of let the eyes just wander around wondering what the idea/concept was. The foreground appears to be the only part close to being sharp, and it's bland.

To fix I would have shot in raw and then adjusted the shot for the sky, and then for the mountains and layered it in PS. If you darken the sky to bring interest to it, you will extremely underexpose the foreground, on the opposite end, if you adjust the exposure for the mountains, you get blown sky. You can find a happy medium, or use PS to get you there.
You also have to consider the conditions when you shoot. Are the mountains hazy? If so you might want to shoot at a different time of day with better lighting, or a different day altogether.

Looks like it might be Cades Cove, in the Smoky Mountain National Park, near Gatlinburg Tennessee.

A beautiful place to go, shooting or not, almost anytime of year, but the fall and spring are usually SPECTACULAR for colors and wildlife, with images of old buildings, churches, graveyards, etc, that look like they are straight out of the 19th Century.

I shot a wedding there once, many years ago.

i'll be honest, i didn't want to open this thread in fear that i might see some slaughtered baby dolphins The Cove Movie: Welcome... but i don't even see an actual cove... can you explain the title?

Cades Cove in the Great Smokey Mountains NP we just call it the Cove round here.. No Dolphins lol.

Yeah, wont be going back to that area any time soon.

Stupid camp site number 6 is on a game trail. Got woken up by one of the biggest bucks Ive ever seen, mad, and not leaving us alone. That is, until he saw the bear 40 feet behind us. Then he left, and the bear stayed around :confused:

Cool photo!

Here's an edit I threw together. Does it work better?

IMG_1336copy2.jpg

I also did a fix edit (and crop). This one is a little brighter and more colorful. I also replaced the sky (it's a little sharp around the edges i know :) it's only for demonstration) and reduced its portion in the image.

edittd.jpg

The one above looks good on my iPhone.

Darton- what program are you using to try and edit/layer?

If you are using Photoshop, head over to Topaz labs and download their free trial for the bundle. What you will want to focus on is Remask 2 (to break up your photo), adjust, and denoise.

I'll post up more info on how to do it later.

The one above looks good on my iPhone.

Darton- what program are you using to try and edit/layer?

If you are using Photoshop, head over to Topaz labs and download their free trial for the bundle. What you will want to focus on is Remask 2 (to break up your photo), adjust, and denoise.

I'll post up more info on how to do it later.

I'm using PS Elements 6 but also have PS1

I layered with RAW files and the place option with gradient tool to layer.

I made my edit darker to reflect the actual conditions of when I shot the photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back