The cranes have returned!

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I RARELY get any worthwhile shots of birds, mostly because I just don't have the reach (200mm is the longest lens I have, and on a FF body...) Anyway, I was on a walk through a state park near me and almost stepped on this guy (or gal?) I love the annual migration of the cranes here in Wisconsin. They have such an interesting and unique call compared to anything else around here. I only wish I had better skills/equipment for birding! These are mostly for sharing, but tips are always welcome.

I liked this one, I just OH SO WISHED I hadn't missed focus :grumpy:
14232900432_5f68674e25_b.jpg

Then he/she briefly posed for me.
14212034736_ccf9215fe3_b.jpg

Before taking to the skys...
14234922174_d7935d8c2e_b.jpg

But then deciding it wasn't yet time to fly..
14212032446_19dc13cb10_b.jpg

Yes that first one really appeals and we all miss focus now and again, so don't sweat it. Beautiful Cranes and wish we were on the migratory path down here. Well taken and the BIF is excellent as well. Nice work.

All the best.

Danny.

A 200mm lens is not bad, as you can see from your shots. It all depends on your location as to the distance of the bird/s you want to take a shot at. Birds are very icky subjects to photograph so they do not fly away. Some to need to approach without looking at them eye to eye and some are people magnets because they have been fed and got used to people. Just choose you subjects well and shoot.

You may have missed the sharpness of the focus in #1 but you got the little bird with it and it was a nice composition. You should emphasize the eyes through PP to make it pop.

#2 is an excellent shot. Even the bokeh is beautiful. I am not too keen on #3 although it is clear and beautiful. I just do not know why this one doesn't work for me...it must be I am awake too early in the morning...:grumpy:

#3 is a bit strange...his back looks like tattered cardboard. I have never seen such.

All good shots, it's just that I prefer one over the others. I like #1 best for the composition.

Izzie

I don't know...looks like you NAILED focus on #1, if you'd been going for the red winged black bird! I honestly might salvage that one by scrapping the crane and cropping down to the RWBB in flight. Although that's a massive crop. #2 is my favourite.

And I know what you mean - 250mm is my longest reach. You just have to get very sneaky. :)

Thanks everyone for the comments and feedback!

Yes that first one really appeals and we all miss focus now and again, so don't sweat it. Beautiful Cranes and wish we were on the migratory path down here. Well taken and the BIF is excellent as well. Nice work.

All the best.

Danny.

Thanks Danny! The Cranes are about the only major avian migration in these parts, besides the Geese and ducks that is, but they're so common it's nice to see spring bring these giants of the sky. P.S. I love your avatar!

A 200mm lens is not bad, as you can see from your shots. It all depends on your location as to the distance of the bird/s you want to take a shot at. Birds are very icky subjects to photograph so they do not fly away. Some to need to approach without looking at them eye to eye and some are people magnets because they have been fed and got used to people. Just choose you subjects well and shoot.

You may have missed the sharpness of the focus in #1 but you got the little bird with it and it was a nice composition. You should emphasize the eyes through PP to make it pop.

#2 is an excellent shot. Even the bokeh is beautiful. I am not too keen on #3 although it is clear and beautiful. I just do not know why this one doesn't work for me...it must be I am awake too early in the morning...:grumpy:

#3 is a bit strange...his back looks like tattered cardboard. I have never seen such.

All good shots, it's just that I prefer one over the others. I like #1 best for the composition.

Izzie

Thank you Izzie! I think the background in #3 might be what hurts it. It's cluttered, and his head gets lost in the trees.. On #3 it was kinda cool to see that massive bird flare for landing, which is what caused the air to become turbulent over the back of his wings, pulling his feathers up like that.

I don't know...looks like you NAILED focus on #1, if you'd been going for the red winged black bird! I honestly might salvage that one by scrapping the crane and cropping down to the RWBB in flight. Although that's a massive crop. #2 is my favourite.

And I know what you mean - 250mm is my longest reach. You just have to get very sneaky. :)

I wish I could crop it in, but the photo is already a pretty heavy crop, so there just wouldn't be much usable image left if I crop any more.. Unfortunately for me, at 6'5" 250lbs sneaky movements my body does not make...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back