The Daily Decision of a Depressed Mind

Think of happy places ,playing your music ,watching sports on your favorite channel.Of course family comes first .

Think of happy places ,playing your music ,watching sports on your favorite channel.Of course family comes first .

Honestly, as weird as it sounds, one of my favorite "happy places" was and still is my apartment out at school. I don't live there anymore as I'm living with friends in a house. I wish I could get some pictures in there. Strangely, it's where my attempt happened but when I think of that place, I think of all the good times there. The parties, the nights of terrible decisions that ended in awkward mornings :p, and just hanging out with my friends or my ex-girlfriend on my couch watching movies. I'll have to find a girl to play my girlfriend in some photos because relationships are honestly where a lot of my best memories come from.

Pretty simple theme, conveyed directly. I liked it. No beating around the bush. Straight to it.

I have a hard time conveying my thoughts in forums. I get the idea you think I want fluffy kitten photos. What I want is to know you beyond suicide. I think it would make the project stronger if we knew more about you. I can't connect with the story as presented because I don't know you. I'm not invested in you.

I like the concept, the delivery is what does not satisfy me. The quality of the image. It looks over-processed, the color is off. I'm not sure what your plans are for this series, maybe it is just to share them online, but if you have a larger audience in mind (publication, gallery, some type of art show), than quality definitely matters.

As far as adding some "hope" to the series, well, I think that is a good idea if you are ready for it and feel it is true to your vision. At the end of the day, we have to stay true to ourselves. There are plenty of "darkly themed" series without a light at the end of the tunnel that have been successful. And the "light" could simply be humor, even dark humor. Maybe looking back on it now, you are able to chuckle at a few incidents? Humor also has a way of showing how we are healing from trauma and moving forward.

There is some pretty serious aberration on your hand and phone. This really harms the image IMO. I would have used a higher ISO, and a faster shutter speed as well to negate any blur from your hands.

Personally, I'd reshoot this.

My read was that he wanted it to look aberrant, dreamlike and on edge.

My read was that he wanted it to look aberrant, dreamlike and on edge.

It looks like a lens was used with an element out of whack. Doesn't really say "dreamy or on edge." But it does say chromatic aberration. I think there are better ways to get such a feeling across IMO.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I noticed the chromatic aberrations but I didn't think it looked all that bad so I left it as is. And the image is kind of over-processed on purpose. I kind of like how it looks this way better with the lighting I'll probably retry again tonight though.

Anyway, here's the image with the aberrations removed to the best of my abilities

IMG_8432 Choice fixed by SteveH8231, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back