The Deep Chill

Majeed Badizadegan

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've done this hike [voluntarily] three times in the last month. And I've gone all the way to the fall each time. It's been interesting to see as the water levels rise how much more difficult it is to get here without a raft.

To get to this fall has it's challenges. The first obstacle is a sizable log jam. Often the logs are slippery. And there's nothing soft to break your fall, if you were to slip. So you get past the log jam, and wade through a creek. It's pretty mild until you come to a deep channel. You can hear the waterfall, but you can't see it. Cruel world. The only way to get to it is to go chest high in freezing creek water. When you finally get past the deepest part, you're rewarded with this view.

The Deep Chill [Columbia Gorge, OR]
by Majeed Badizadegan, on Flickr

Beautiful shot! Love the framing.

I'm terrified of carrying my phone over a puddle. I can't imagine taking my camera through chest-high water. :confused:

The only way to get to it is to go chest high in freezing creek water.
Then I can be certain of this: That is a view I will never, ever see in person.

There might have been a time in my life when I would have tried something like that. But those days are long, LONG gone.

I'm perfectly content just admiring YOUR view of it instead.

Very, very nice! I really like how you've managed to find the balance between completely stopping the movement of the water and making it overly silky. Beautiful shot, location, and execution! Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful shot! Love the framing.

I'm terrified of carrying my phone over a puddle. I can't imagine taking my camera through chest-high water. :confused:

Haha! Yeah, I'm probably too brave. I think all the time: It's a miracle I haven't got seriously injured for all the time I spend climbing down wet rock walls, trudging around on slippery creek rocks, and clomping about in vertical mud situations.

Nice, do you happen to have a shot of the very top for reference?

Just imagine the very top is right out of frame, because it is. I think it would have hurt the visual flow of this image if there's a tiny piece at the top where the fall starts. So either I would've had to stand back and go wider, or do a 16mm stitch.

The only way to get to it is to go chest high in freezing creek water.
Then I can be certain of this: That is a view I will never, ever see in person.

There might have been a time in my life when I would have tried something like that. But those days are long, LONG gone.

I'm perfectly content just admiring YOUR view of it instead.

Hahha! A lot of people do it, I'm sure if you found yourself in Oregon you might work up the courage. It's a euphoric experience.

Very, very nice! I really like how you've managed to find the balance between completely stopping the movement of the water and making it overly silky. Beautiful shot, location, and execution! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Shutter speed is pretty important, so I always try to get the right one for the scene. Doesn't mean I'm always successful at it :)

Great shot! I wish my knees were still good enough to get to places like this.
As for the freezing water comments- it's really not that bad, you lose feeling after a bit. I used to go body surfing out at Seaside/Canon Beach when I was younger (now I'd be afraid of losing my glasses, can't see anything without them) and that was cold as well. My oldest used to love to play in the stream by Multnomah Falls but would complain about how cold it was.

Nicely handled, beautiful place.

You mentioned injury, be careful! At one of the falls near there the creek bank right off trail collapsed and dropped me down the embankment, a boulder dislodged and fell onto my leg pinning my nearly upside down in contorted position. Amazing how fast things can go to hell...... At least the camera was alright.

Really nice!! I assume you didn't include the top of the falls because it would have been too bright and washed out? Excellent way to handle that all too often encountered situation when shooting waterfalls.

I love shooting in water or going through water to get a shot. Sometimes you have to do it to get the right perspective. Neoprene waders, hold the tripod high if the water is splashing, or use extend the legs and use if for stability and you're good to go! :)

Great shot ... there is a lot of movement feel to your image.

Thanks! I like the rapids in the foreground, otherwise there are limited approaches to this fall without heavy rainfall.

Great shot! I wish my knees were still good enough to get to places like this.
As for the freezing water comments- it's really not that bad, you lose feeling after a bit. I used to go body surfing out at Seaside/Canon Beach when I was younger (now I'd be afraid of losing my glasses, can't see anything without them) and that was cold as well. My oldest used to love to play in the stream by Multnomah Falls but would complain about how cold it was.

That's awesome. I have a feeling Oregon wilderness is preserved very well over time. We take protecting our wilderness pretty seriously.

Nicely handled, beautiful place.

You mentioned injury, be careful! At one of the falls near there the creek bank right off trail collapsed and dropped me down the embankment, a boulder dislodged and fell onto my leg pinning my nearly upside down in contorted position. Amazing how fast things can go to hell...... At least the camera was alright.

Damn, that is some terrible luck. Nothing you could've done differently to avoid that either, huh? Just the trail gave out on you. Crazy.

looks great.

Thanks.

Really nice!! I assume you didn't include the top of the falls because it would have been too bright and washed out? Excellent way to handle that all too often encountered situation when shooting waterfalls.

I love shooting in water or going through water to get a shot. Sometimes you have to do it to get the right perspective. Neoprene waders, hold the tripod high if the water is splashing, or use extend the legs and use if for stability and you're good to go! :)

I don't bother with waders anymore, usually. Even though I have them specifically for photography.

The top of the falls needs to be an important part of the composition or else it becomes a distraction. If I took a few steps back, it probably would've worked too.

You should publish a photo book! You have so many great photos!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back