The different rebel models.

sublimelbc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm taking the plunge and getting a DSLR. The rebel seems like a good place to start but i'm unsure about all the different models. The 6.3 mp rebel is about 400 body, the 8mp xt is 500 for just the body, and the 10.1 xti is 675. Money is deffinetly an issue right now and i really want to put as much as i can towards lens over body. I shoot primarily surf photography so a 200 mm (at least) and F 2.8 is going to hurt. So my struggle right now is what body to get. If i get the xti i'm going to end up with a 70-300 4-5.6 which i hear bad things about. If i go less on the body i will be able to put down 500 dollars for a nice 200 prime lens. Advice?

I am really happy with the XT. The Original D Rebel has a USB 1 connection jack so you'd want a card reader. It also has a small buffer and more basic proccessor. Only 4 image bursts........

The XT makes me really happy and I love it. Very mid range. Has the things lacking in the original D rebel, lacks the things the Xti has listed below.

The XTi has the most advanced AF system of them all, best burst shooting (longest buffer NOT faster contrary to popular belief). Looks nicest, and has the largest screen.

The lens is very important, and in most cases, more important than the body, but I think for surf photography you are going to want at least a certain amount of the responsiveness from the camera. I think this puts the rebel (300D) out of the game. It's got a slow start up time, and recovery time, and a small buffer. You'll be wishing you had a faster camera the day you get it. The image quality is superb, but I think you have a little more to think about since your subjects aren't trees in a wide angle landscape.

Hmmm, It looks like the best bet is to go in the middle with the XT and try to put together enough money for a good lens. There aren't too many middle grounds in the world of photography equipment :thumbdown:

IF you need to shoot surfing you are not going to live with the slow burst mode of the entry level rebel... you will miss tons of great shots...

I would pick up a slightly used 20D with a warranty from a reilable source.

You wont be dissapointed with the extra options. Or else you may outgrow the original rebel in a matter of months and for only a few hundred more you could of started out with a pro camera.....

If you wont shoot a lot of sports, then the rebel is fine !!!!

The camera is going to be primarily for surf photography. I'm not really into sequences and the 200 mm lens isn't going to make traditional "action" surf shots anyway. But i do understand the benifits of the 20D. I've also heard that many of the 20D's have technical issues. And yes, photography is expensive, but its an expense i'm willing to take now. Thanks for the input.

there was an initial batch of 20D's like 2.5 years ago that was bad, but they have mostly been recalled and fixed I believe...

If the shutter has more than 1,000 shots on it and its running fine, then you have a good one.. IF not chances are the owner had it fixed anyways for free..

I second the 20D recommendation. It is so much easier to use and takes the abuse with stride. I have the 350d/xt as a back up camera and I always feel like its slowing me down. Plus the 20D feels a bit more balanced with a big lens.

I had the XT and found it to be a good body. However, most of my shots are taken at soccer games or track meets so a good autofocus system is important as well. When I found out the XTi had the same 9 point autofocus system as the 20D (along with the larger LCD and more MP), I had to have it!

I have found that, indeed, the XTi seems to have a more accurate focus system. That should be key to your decision if you're doing surfing pics. I combined the XTi with a 70-200mm F2.8 IS USM and have really been pleased with the results.

The one thing the 20D has that you may be interested in is 5 fps continuous. The XTi will do 3.5 fps on a good day. That's enough for me but there have been times when I wished I had the 5-8 fps capability. But, that's another program.

If your budget allows for the XTi, get it!

Most reactions

Back