"The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just started reading it. It is literature for a course called "Academic Writing" I'm taking. Our lecturer, the authors, and soon-to-be I, feel this book is a must read for all that write in their profession - or, write at all and must be understood.

A classic book, it's said.

It is a classic, but depending on where you write professionally, they may prefer the AP style book or some other. If you truly care about the precise use and placement of semi-colons, it can be a problem.

It was forced reading at my college. Book made me want to cut myself.

It's a well-known and popular book, especially among academics, but I know a lot of people who write extremely well without using it.

I'm glad to hear you like it. You seem to be enjoying University.

It's a well-known and popular book, especially among academics, but I know a lot of people who write extremely well without using it.

Not here - usually.
We are lucky if the spelling is at least phonetic and the grammar is almost English.

University is great! I just need to figure out what I really want to do, something I should have done a year ago. I'm starting my master's degree the coming fall.

I try to write well, and strive to improve, but I have more trouble formulating sentences when I talk. I notice grammatical errors all over the place: our school, advertisement, news papers, and many other places. How hard can it be to write properly, truly? One would think that if you're advertising a product that hundreds of thousand will see, writing correctly would be a priority, right?

I agree. Unfortunately, we see examples of poor writing everywhere. It is shameful when coming from a school, inexcusable when coming from advertising, expected in newspapers, and perplexing when the same simple errors keep popping up in all the usual places.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back