The Emptied Prairie

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
From January's National Geographic. Very moving series, I think. The accompanying article is good, too.

Note: NOT my work. ;) Mods, if I posted this in the wrong forum, please move as you see fit or, if in violation of forum rules, let me know.

CLICK

I think it's an interesting series as well. Some of the photos remind me of the images taken around Chernobyl after the meltdown. Just an eerie, lonely feeling.

ABC news reported Friday night that the folks from North Dakota did not appreciate National Geographic’s report on the Emptied Prairie

A series like that could be done in any town...

...and probably should be.

ABC news reported Friday night that the folks from North Dakota did not appreciate National Geographic’s report on the Emptied Prairie

Yeah, I read the same thing in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. National Geographic sent a letter to the governor of North Dakota explaining the purpose of the article but offering no apologies.

A stunning series none the less. If I didn't have the health issues and need to be near a transplant facility, I'd love to live there.

Yea, it's such a ridiculous issue. I'm from North Dakota originally (Fargo) and find it pathetic that the governor is getting all worked up about the article. It's not like the article was attacking ND! They were telling it like it is...I know, I've been out in that area many times! I have family in Marmarth, ND, one of the towns mentioned. In fact, I just posted some shots I took of Marmarth in December. I'll post them and a couple more below since they pertain to this thread:

IMG_5579r.jpg

IMG_5578r.jpg

IMG_5575r.jpg

IMG_5574r.jpg

IMG_5573r.jpg

IMG_5571r.jpg

IMG_5570r.jpg

As a city planner and a historic preservationist, I get bummed out to see the work of man neglected and allowed to vanish back into the prairie. I know, I get the organic nature of our built environment, and that man-made things, just like natural things, have a lifespan and eventually die, but still...I mean, these places and buildings and towns represent real history, history tied to the people that lived/worked/played/learned/died in a place. I know it sounds trite, but without things it's hard to keep track of history. People and a way of life get forgotten. It just seems like such a waste and a shame for all the hard work and dedication of people to be discarded. Sigh. I shall now descend from my soapbox.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back