The Heron Experience (Pt.2 Feeding time)

JOAT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The second part of this series turned out to be quite the learning experience for me. It was around 3:00pm and the lighting was still quite harsh at this time. Most of the shots I attempted were backlit and finding the right spot was challenging as there was really limited space to work with.

Nevertheless, after spending about an hour with the Heron previously, as he flew I way I hoped to find him again. I walked about 50 feet around the pond and saw him again in the distance walking and wading, hunting for fish. He got closer and my excitement grew with anticipation.

I satrted to notice a few people behind me, then more, then kids, dogs and every Tom , Dick and Jane came out of no where. I thought to myself "Great another opportunity down the tube!". All the excitement seemed to startle the heron, but was focused on getting a snack.

Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/500
Av(Aperture Value) 5.6
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 200

tg-gbh11b.jpg

Fortunately everyone went on there way after a few "ooooooo's and aaahhhhhs!". After wading again for some time it looked as if he spotted something, leaned forward and stood still for a few seconds....

tg-gbh12.jpg

....and then with a quick forward motion....BLAMO!!!! hhhmmmmm...fishy :)
tg-gbh13.jpg

tg-gbh14.jpg

He waded and stalked a couple more fish and seemed please that he had his fill and even marched proud towards a bunch of twiggs and branches to relax and enjoy.
tg-gbh15.jpg

At this point he seemed camera shy :)

tg-gbh16b.jpg

He stood there looking triumphant and I thought to myself how awesome it would be to finish the day with some flight shots!
tg-gbh15b.jpg

So I waited and changed my CF card and anticipated his afternoon flight. However I noticed as I tried to pre-focus nothing worked. I looked at my LCD and say with horror and disgust, which all photographers hate to have happen. MY BATERRIES WERE DEAD!!!!!! Previous to the heron encounter I was takng some macro shots and didn't realize that my batteries were drained.

I glanced over at him one last time and he left me with a pose that was almost sinister as if he knew what had happend.
tg-gbh19b.jpg

I said my thank you's and packed my stuff and went on my way home, shaking my head thinking I should have charged my batteries. As I started the car I glanced over towards the pond and sure enough, there he was in flight in all his majesty.

I hope you enjoyed my Heron experience and I learned quite a few things.

The moral of the story is.......

1:pOWER- Always have a fully charged set and some spares...I only have 2 batteries.

2: Patience and Persistence: Make it a day and expect to spend a few hours when observing animals.

3: Capture Behaviour: Behaviour really makes the shot worth while, it adds a sense of creativity and story to the images captured.

Thanx for reading, looking and commenting!

great shots!

Cheers guys, glad you enjoyed the series.

Ray: good point I need to get another card especially if you shoot in RAW.

Most reactions

Back