The iPad 2 for Photographers

TomHarmon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently joined the forum, but I wanted to contribute. I wrote an article on my blog about using the iPad 2 for a photography business. There is a lot of information for those who were thinking about getting an iPad, or for those that have one and want to utilize it for their business. Let me know what you think.

The iPad for Photographers | TDH Photography

Thats pretty much what I use mine for....besides the credit card terminal. Im not quite there yet haha. I have a 64gb so when im out on trips I dump my card into my ipad and it keeps the NEF EXIF data so I can sift through my images and check the ones Im gonna keep...then dump my card for a fresh one. When i get to my computer I attach my ipad to aperture and it categorizes everything by date etc...Quite a handy tool if you ask me.

I'm amazed a the number of stupid blogs who are promoting the iPad 2 for use in <insert field here>. I understood this with the original iPad, but the successor brings absolutely NOTHING new to the table. All of what was written in the blog could be done with the original iPad.

In fact the only thing the iPad 2 has done is provide bloggers with the opportunity to write yet another clone article and raise advertising revenue by spamming forums and news aggregators with links.

Also for the record, I personally think the credit card idea is horrible. The point of a credit card readers was to provide a 100% secure and tamper proof transaction. Now we're running magnetic stripe records through consumer equipment that is connected to the internet basically undoing the last 20 years of credit card security enhancements. There's just sooo much potential there. This would instantly turn me off the idea of buying unless there was an ATM within spitting distance.

Also for the record, I personally think the credit card idea is horrible. The point of a credit card readers was to provide a 100% secure and tamper proof transaction. Now we're running magnetic stripe records through consumer equipment that is connected to the internet basically undoing the last 20 years of credit card security enhancements. There's just sooo much potential there. This would instantly turn me off the idea of buying unless there was an ATM within spitting distance.

Perhaps your right. But its the state of the market. People want it, and they want it now. You can either get with it and make money, or you can ***** about it and stay broke.

You are speaking from ignorance. You have no idea of the the security measures (encryption, geotagging the sale) from SquareUp and how they meet industry standards. Nor who SquareUp is partnered with.
I use it. My customers have had no problem with it. It is a great solution to the exhorbitant rates from "proper" POS services for the little guy.

Yeah, I can point out all the nearest ATM's. Good luck withdrawing $5K from a machine.

If you ever pay for dinner or anything that your card walks away from you, you are at risk of the easiest non technology based credit card fraud called the pen and paper. All the info needed to use the card, is on the card. But of course, I am sure you never let that happen, you always use cash at restaurants.

Last edited:
I rather run my car trough an iphone or ipad than someone making a carbon copy of it. It is a nice setup. I will eventually be doing this.

i just wish we could use this in Canada.

As it stands now, I can just login to my site and process cards from the ipad, but I have found it has made my work flow much easier.
I can keep all my signed contracts on it, shot lists, model releases, all with PDF backups emailed to my main machine.
I can carry a great sample of my work and sign new clients right on the spot and even create print orders for them right from the ipad.

You have no idea of the the security measures (encryption, geotagging the sale) from SquareUp and how they meet industry standards. Nor who SquareUp is partnered with.
I use it. My customers have had no problem with it. It is a great solution to the exhorbitant rates from "proper" POS services for the little guy.

Yeah, I can point out all the nearest ATM's. Good luck withdrawing $5K from a machine.

If you ever pay for dinner or anything that your card walks away from you, you are at risk of the easiest non technology based credit card fraud called the pen and paper. All the info needed to use the card, is on the card. But of course, I am sure you never let that happen, you always use cash at restaurants.

The point isn't the security measures which are in place, it's about the security measures which aren't. The fact is you are running a scanner through an unprotected consumer devices opens up a lot of potential for MITM attacks. Over the last 20 years a lot of effort has been put into preventing just this on your typical standard hardware in a store. For instance try opening the device. It doesn't just void the warranty it instantly ceases to function. Ok so let's tamper with it without opening by drilling a small hole in the side in which to get in. Nope sets off a light sensor on the inside, terminal useless again. On the other hand there's nothing at all tamper proof about the iPad.

Meeting industry standards for encryption on a software level is simple, but unfortunately the software is also imperfect these days and plenty of attacks have been demonstrated. This is exactly the reason traditional POS devices are tamperproof. Make it impossible to play with the device and you dramatically reduce the security issues. But all we have here is a device which plugs into the headphone jack of a piece of consumer electronics.

I'm not speaking of ignorance. I'm speaking out of experience from the receiving end of scams. Personally I hate the idea of giving handing over a credit card, and fortunately I live in a country where cash is legal tender. But if I must hand over a credit card, it'll be an Amex. They were much nicer in dealing with my magical $2000 cab fare then master card was about some charge which I to this date haven't figured out. Still it was a massive pain in the butt. And yes I can withdraw $5k from an ATM machine. But usually I won't have to because standard POS systems are quite fine.

Do you ever make charges where your card leaves your sight?

Ok, so you are going on about how a device can be opened and hacked.
Are you saying my customers really might think that my shop is a front for a credit card scam?

Most banks have ATM limits to prevent your account being drained if your card gets stolen. I am sure you can probably get that limit raised, but why would you, knowing the possibility, no matter how remote, that your card is stolen and used to drain your account. The same goes for daily purchase limits put in place on bank drawn debit cards.

I'm amazed a the number of stupid blogs who are promoting the iPad 2 for use in <insert field here>. I understood this with the original iPad, but the successor brings absolutely NOTHING new to the table. All of what was written in the blog could be done with the original iPad.

In fact the only thing the iPad 2 has done is provide bloggers with the opportunity to write yet another clone article and raise advertising revenue by spamming forums and news aggregators with links.

When i read the OP and the blog post i was going to post EXACTLY this. You read my mind Garbz

Hahahaha. Whatever. It's better than the carbon paper system that was in place for how long?
You must not do any shopping on the Internet either. Imagine sending your info over the intertubes.
How long ago was it that people were afraid of doing that? Hmmm?

Bitter Jeweler, don't get me wrong. The iPad is great, I was mainly critisizing the OP for the bull**** that is yet another article claiming the iPad 2 is in any way or form even remotely different (let alone revolutionary) to the original.

Yes I do make purchases where the card leaves my sight, but I hate it and these days only on a credit card not linked to any debit account. As I mentioned, dealing with Amex is much nicer than dealing with Mastercard (probably because my Mastercard is a debit card).
I do make purchases on the internet. Cards setup from reputable sites process credit transactions in a way that the vendor usually doesn't even access the credit card information. I again use my Amex for that. But I'm also the type of person who before they enter their credit card info into the browser will open and have a quick look at the site's SSL certificate, and abort if there's anything remotely wrong with it.

I'm just pissy that everything new is undoing years of security. Yeah it's better than carbon paper, but its a step backwards from where we are today. But the iPad card reader isn't alone here. There's a laundry list of other stupid things we're doing:
- Register for a credit card with chip and pin, and your swipe it anywhere in Europe and all you need to do is sign bypassing the security.
- We introduced signatures, then did away with carbon paper, then introduced the pin, then the chip providing even more security between the card and reader, ... and then introduce Mastercard's "PayPass" system which automagically approves wirelessly any transaction under $50, no chip, no pin, not even a signature.
- Paypal - no more info needed here.

It's depressing. People in general used to take this seriously.

Yeah, I wasn't commenting on the blog post spam, just your negativity towards something that is actually a good thing for a small business, and how you went about providing "proof" how bad it is, yet people every day inculding yourself make purchases online, and where your card leaves your sight.

I do agree with you though, about the the new chip and bypass methods the cards are coming out with.

SquareUp is a boon to me, where I am no longer a cash only (retail) shop, and I would never take checks for big ticket items.
It sets me back zero, even the reader was free. Flat fees, although higher than normal POS services, are better in the long run when you consider if I have no credit transactions in one month I still have to pay the $35 to $45 monthly fee, on top of minimum transaction penalties that ranged up to $50 for some providers and other hidden fees!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back