the job market sucks.

simplekym

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just moved to Florida. Well, when I say I just moved to Florida - I really mean I moved here three months ago.

Yea. Three months now . . . . and STILL UNEMPLOYED.

I moved out here because I was promised a job at a portrait studio. I get this call 1000 miles into my journey across the states, that my new employer is on a hiring freeze. But because I'm a trooper I kept on truck'n - hoping a I would grab a job soon.

Three months later . . . . . . running out of money. No job.
And it rains here. ALOT.

Suggestions? Connections? Need to RANT and RAVE too!?
Go for it. Lets make eachother feel better. :confused:

I live in Canada and where I'm living there are not enough people to fill the jobs, so they are looking overseas to find employees. One of our local restaurants closed because they can not find a cook. Our photographer only has his store open when you phone first. He wants to retire and has no one to take over his business. Unlike Florida we have four seasons. Cold and windy, Very cold and windy, Warm and windy, Very hot and windy. Well you get my drift. Sometimes networking helps to get a job.

I'm on the other coast of Florida in Tampabay, it's miserable all over and has been for a while. I am in the same boat and it doesn't look like it's gonna get better anytime soon. I read somewhere that alot of places are waiting for the election to see how things will be re-directed. I wish you luck and keep on networking and hitting the pavement. I know it sucks and I wish I could give you better advise, but I am trying to convince myself as well. :confused:

I wish you luck....

I was unemployed for 2 years burning through severance and savings. It was that tough period that made me paranoid and keep 2 jobs so I can sleep at night. Between outsourcing and shipping industry overseas it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Good luck to you!!! I know people in Florida and I've heard the same thing. Bad thing is, its rough here in Mo too, especially construction jobs (which my husband is in).

I too had heard that it is partly due to it being an election year, I couldnt wrap my brain around the reason why that would really make that big of a difference until I came across an article where the writer said it was because the candidates are all talking about how bad the economy is. I think that is a reasonable explanation but we all know about jobs leaving too....I just hope things start turning up sooner!!!

Keep your chin up!

Look up networking groups in your area. (yes, I'm serious.)

#1 best way to find a job, no matter what your industry is to network. I say this as a person who is sorta shy and who HATES to "network", and as someone who has become famous for incredibly fast and successful job searches.

Find those groups and go every single week, without fail. Listen carefully, be sure to offer anything you happen to be aware of that would help others, form relationships, and follow up on all leads. Go out to lunch with people, meet other people, form circles, etc.

Do this in addition to all the other typical stuff that one would do while looking for a job, obviously, but do networking more than anything else.

BTW, if you're running out of money, go get a job doing something else to pay the bills while you look. Find something with some relative flexibility so you can take off for a real interview when you need to.

There's a lot more involved and so many other things to know about this process, but it's essentially impossible to summarize it like this. This, however, is some critical stuff.

i never thought of doing the networking thing. great advice. i'm totally going to research now!! thank you!

One thing that helped me out and land a few interviews was to always have a "calling card" with your contact information with you at all times. Don't go as far as make it look like a business card, just something to give out (don't want to look too desperate). Mine has both my wife's and my name for example. I use it even today when friends, acquaintances, and family ask me my most current contact information. I even landed a couple easy photographic shoots (I am not a pro.. just a life long hobby) for people who needed some photos done and didn't have the money for a "real" photographer. Word of mouth and my card followed along.

They are always handy when you run into people unexpectedly. They are even handy even outside your job search.. Sure a lot nicer than using a napkin that someone will just think is trash and throw it out. In business card form, they are more likely to place it in their wallet where you want it to be. If anything, they'll think you are always prepared and organized.

www.vistaprint.com Several years ago they had a free printing service and all they required was their logo on the back of your card.

Oh yeh... its survival time.. Never be too proud to work another job outside your norm. I shuffled cars at a Mazda dealer for a few months. Worked menial jobs and got paid in cash...etc.. Even worked for free in exchange for access to an office to conduct my search in the heart of NYC, keep my skills fresh, and keep my resume from having gaps. Literally worked there for free for almost 1 year.

almost a year! WOW! that is amazing. you all are so wonderful! thank you for the words of wisdom. i've been searching high and low for a job - any job - and just recently have "placed" my pride aside. its hard right now but desperate times call for desperate measures. i'm ready to do whatever it takes. =)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back