The Journey Begins

Ah, that explains why you cannot focus closer.
Yah think. LOL Okay had some time today, and materials, fabricated a focus screen, using your suggestion of an old DVD case. As near as I can tell the camera will focus on infinity when sucked all the way in, and at various points in between, it also appears that I may "not" have an issue with the focus lens. So, I feel confident enough that I'm going to order some film and burn a roll, just to see, before I adjust the focus knob. Amazing how easy it is to get turned around 180 degrees. LOL

@dxqcanada Okay, one last check before I loaded film. I'm not sure my focus lens is correct yet. With the bellows retracted to "just short of all the way in" I have infinity focus on the taking lens. Through the focus lens, on the screen, there is a center circle that's blurred. The area around that circle is in focus, but the circle area is blurred. I've adjusted the the focus lens adjustment in/out but it doesn't seem to make any difference. If I adjust the focus knob (as in trying to focus on something closer), I can get sharp focus on in the blurred circle on something close ???

Rechecking myself on the following:
1. When I cleaned and reinstalled the focus screen:
a. The ground glass is on top (farthest from lens), with the mat side facing the lens
b. The Fresnel lens is next with the ridges toward the ground glass and the smooth side facing the lens.

Could it be that I have the Fresnel upside down (ridges should go toward the lens and away from ground glass)? Any other suggestions on things to check?

Hmm, I will go and check ... after I finish my beer, though.
Hold up, I may have overlooked what constitutes infinity. I was only 75 ft from a wall. Hyper-focal distance on the taking lens would be just over 310 ft. Need to setup in a different place. This is getting confusing for an "old brain". LOL

Shoot the moon.

No, really.

@dxqcanada I set up a makeshift collimator using a DSL to verify infinity. I then went out and using the farthest point I could see, adjusted the focus lens for sharp focus.

In order to get focus I had to screw the lens out substantially further than the previous setting such that the focus lens is now slightly proud of the taking lens. Does this sound right???

I've verified the mirror, focus glass, and freznel are all in correctly. I have sharp focus on the grid lines used with the DSL collimator. Is it possible to use the same DSL collimator method to check infinity on the focus lens?

I still need to reset the focus knob so the infinity knob lines up correctly, but that shouldn't change anything?

Am I just at the point of burning a roll of film?

Hmm, I would adjust the knob first
use the DSLR method to verify infinity focus for the taking lens.
then do it on the viewing lens

This has been interesting but way over my head. Got out my 635 while reading this to fool with. Been a long time, think I need a new manual. Used to like going around with this old camera to see what I could get! I see there's still a roll of film in it, gonna have to shoot it up and see if anything is still on it! Really a hoot playing with this old thing. I remember when my older brother graduated high school, out parent's gave him a Rolleiflex, always envied him about that. I got this 635 used from a camera shop in Bend, Ore. must have been pretty inexpensive at that time in my life!

must have been pretty inexpensive at that time in my life
They've appreciated in value. Fully serviced with new covers are fetching $700-800 now.

Hmm, I would adjust the knob first
use the DSLR method to verify infinity focus for the taking lens.
then do it on the viewing lens

I double checked the the "focus lens" today, using the DSLR method. Grid lines are sharp at infinity, so hopefully it's in focus. I still don't understand why the focus lens was so far out of adjustment, I didn't remove the taking lens or barrel, and it hits infinity at just under the maximum travel. To the best of my knowledge there were no shims under the focus screen, however, I can't be sure that someone else might have had it apart and removed them. I also verified that the mirror was in correctly. Strange????

Most reactions

Back