The Lake was angry .. and so am i.... i had my chance

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had my chance to get some really good scenes of this angry lake Ontario.. but somehow .. even after a million settings on my Nikon D5oo with my Tamron 18-400mm I feel so disappointed.. Not entirely.. but enough to be unsatisfied .. can anyone just look at these photos and determine why I am not getting sharp vivid photos of a glorious angry lake with a blustery sky..I just cannot figure it out..Just give me a hint of why ... I spend enormous amount of time.. I keep blaming my lens..is it my lens on this camera...?? I realize I was in a bit of a rush.. the wind was blowing me almost off my feet...but...is it just me.. I will continue practicing...but I want to strive for better..
sodus point 251-001.JPG
sodus point 253-001.JPG
sodus point 250.JPG

Just keep taking photographs, I am still hoping to get good some day...........

Just keep taking photographs, I am still hoping to get good some day...........
oh that I will do...and you are very good now!

Is #1 cropped? If so, how much?

Can you post the focal length and exposure settings for each shot? there may have been a bit of camera shake from the windy conditions. Also looks like the conditions could cause atmospheric distortion like haze and water spray.

I think you captured the location and drama rather nicely!

Can you post the focal length and exposure settings for each shot? there may have been a bit of camera shake from the windy conditions. Also looks like the conditions could cause atmospheric distortion like haze and water spray.

no crop a bit of editing ..maybe your right.. and I am glad you understand what I mean.. thank you

I am not getting sharp vivid photos

From the EXIF data, it looks like you shot all three with the widest aperture. I wouldn't guess that this is the best for the lens you have.
In the second shot, I think the camera focused on the clouds in the background.

Hmm I also see reference to Picasa in the EXIF ... is that right ?

I am not getting sharp vivid photos

From the EXIF data, it looks like you shot all three with the widest aperture. I wouldn't guess that this is the best for the lens you have.
In the second shot, I think the camera focused on the clouds in the background.

Hmm I also see reference to Picasa in the EXIF ... is that right ?
yes picasa,, maybe that's it... thanks so much...I will check that and tomorrow shoot again..

Are you using Picasa to do your JPEG (I am assuming you do not shoot RAW) image processing/adjustments ?

wow that's what is..my focal point was 0..how that happened I don't know... so glad I asked though.. I knew something was off..thanks again

Are you using Picasa to do your JPEG (I am assuming you do not shoot RAW) image processing/adjustments ?
I do shoot raw JPEG most of the time but not today,, I just looked a my focal and exposure info for the shots and somehow the focal was 0..I am lucky I was able to get this good..and yes I am using picasa I am glad I asked and thank ful that you both shed the light on my error! I appreciate it..

I feel so disappointed.. Not entirely.. but enough to be unsatisfied .. can anyone just look at these photos and determine why I am not getting sharp vivid photos of a glorious angry lake with a blustery sky..I just cannot figure it out..Just give me a hint of why ... I

First of all, judging by the way the water was blowing over that wall, the wind must have been screaming!!! Despite your shutter speed of 1/1000, hand holding in those conditions would be problematic. Even at a fast shutter speed a strong wind like that can induce movement, a sturdy tripod would have been better. Also, rather then an aperture of f5.6 you would have benefited by stopping down to f/8 - f/10 which would have hopefully kept you more in the sweet spot of the lens, and given a better DOF. Finally gray overcast sky produces soft light, and mutes colors, somewhat counter intuitive to your early comment about shooting a moody or angry scene. You have to compensate on your exposure. Here's a quick edit on the shot maybe more toward the moody look?
sodus point 250-3.jpg

Last edited:
I feel so disappointed.. Not entirely.. but enough to be unsatisfied .. can anyone just look at these photos and determine why I am not getting sharp vivid photos of a glorious angry lake with a blustery sky..I just cannot figure it out..Just give me a hint of why ... I

First of all, judging by the way the water was blowing over that wall, the wind must have been screaming!!! Despite your shutter speed of 1/1000, hand holding in those conditions would be problematic. Even at a fast shutter speed a strong wind like that can induce movement, a sturdy tripod would have been better. Also, rather then an aperture of f5.6 you would have benefited by stopping down to f/8 - f/10 which would have hopefully kept you more in the sweet spot of the lens, and given a better DOF. Finally gray overcast sky produces soft light, and mutes colors, somewhat counter intuitive to your early comment about shooting a moody or angry scene. You have to compensate on your exposure. Here's a quick edit on the shot maybe more toward the moody look?
View attachment 184786
thank you so much... will do this tomorrow ... I am so glad I asked and thank ful for the help!!

Most reactions

Back