the Last Days of Summer (or Smoke Gets in your eyes)

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We had a few smokey days because of the late summer forest fires in the interior of the province. I took a look at the sky, contacted a friend and arranged to do a tropical sunset shoot. (which is awesome cuz we live in Canada).

Here are some of the images...taken around 2pm on a cloudless day.
DSC_0589-Edit.jpg
DSC_0062-Edit-Edit.jpg
DSC_0568-Edit.jpg
DSC_9745-Edit.jpg
DSC_0429-Edit.jpg

Here's a few more alternate shots that I did not retouch.
DSC_0713.jpg
DSC_9735.jpg
DSC_0412.jpg

White Balance was set to cloudy so that you can see how orange the skies actually was.

Last edited:
I love your tones, and as always great use of available lighting.
The Oregon forest fires have had a similar effect on the daylight here in Portland as well. Awful circumstances with the Gorge being set on fire, but it's been interesting to see the effect it has on the light. Hopefully the rainfall today helps the firefighters get the inferno contained.

Last edited:
I ditched my studio and saved about $400 a month. I had to learn to get good at dealing with natural light really quickly. The only downside is that I can't do higher budget big production shots. Hopefully the rain clears your air a little. If not, go get some shots.

I ditched my studio and saved about $400 a month. I had to learn to get good at dealing with natural light really quickly. The only downside is that I can't do higher budget big production shots. Hopefully the rain clears your air a little. If not, go get some shots.
Why can't you do higher budget big production shoots?

Commercial Clients like to have a place to mingle, change room for the models, make up station, light snacks, controlled environment. Sometimes even set builders.

Commercial Clients like to have a place to mingle, change room for the models, make up station, light snacks, controlled environment. Sometimes even set builders.
I interned for a photographer who had high end clients (W, Tiffany and Co, Vogue, etc), and he had no problem with high budget big production shoots without a studio. Be careful that you don't set limitations for yourself for no reason at all, because there is no reason why you or anyone else couldn't do high end big production shoots without a studio.

I interned for a photographer who had high end clients (W, Tiffany and Co, Vogue, etc), and he had no problem with high budget big production shoots without a studio. Be careful that you don't set limitations for yourself for no reason at all, because there is no reason why you or anyone else couldn't do high end big production shoots without a studio.
It really depends on the shot they want. My GF has shot for Rolex, H&M and many others but they wanted outdoor shots. I get what you mean though. At the same time, it's nice to have a meeting space and adds a bit of polish to the experience for the client(even if the final result is the same).

a few more unretouched images
DSC_0502.jpg
DSC_9597.jpg
DSC_9893.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back