The Life of a Red Panda

Red panda's are so freaking adorable. I visit the Toronto Zoo, they have two there. In a new enclosure (not behind glass yay!) that puts them in a more natural environment and they are so much fun to watch. Great shots.

Red panda's are so freaking adorable. I visit the Toronto Zoo, they have two there. In a new enclosure (not behind glass yay!) that puts them in a more natural environment and they are so much fun to watch. Great shots.
That sounds great :) I love enclosures that have no glass or fences in the way. The panda I post here is behind glass, but it's just about chest high. It's not in the way and I can actually rest my arms on it to stabilize my camera!
My favorite tiger is getting a new enclosure right now as well, sadly he will be entirely behind glass... I hope I'll still be able to take great shots of him, but I kind of doubt it :c

That sounds great :) I love enclosures that have no glass or fences in the way. The panda I post here is behind glass, but it's just about chest high. It's not in the way and I can actually rest my arms on it to stabilize my camera!
My favorite tiger is getting a new enclosure right now as well, sadly he will be entirely behind glass... I hope I'll still be able to take great shots of him, but I kind of doubt it :c

Yup, our red panda's have a wooden fence, waist high too. Love it.

It's so hard to get good pictures through glass, although I know some people have succeeded. I much prefer when they are out in the open.

Yup, our red panda's have a wooden fence, waist high too. Love it.

It's so hard to get good pictures through glass, although I know some people have succeeded. I much prefer when they are out in the open.
It's tough, but it can be done. It pretty much depends on how clean the glass is and if you can avoid reflections in the glass.

Have a nice weekend! :)

Tired Panda by Mathias Appel, auf Flickr

Last edited:
great captures....mattis

Thanks!
Here's something a little different, just to show that she isn't a lazy panda^^

Exploring Panda by Mathias Appel, auf Flickr

She is actually very active for a red panda. She doesn't just lie around a lot like other pandas, she runs through her enclosure, nibbles on small plants and she likes to chase small birds. Red pendas are predators, but I never saw her actually catch a bird :)

Last edited:
It's rainy and windy, this is not going to be a great weekend for photos...

Have another one:

Snowy Panda by Mathias Appel, auf Flickr

I don't know how I missed this thread!
These are all wonderful photos, great job!!!:1219:

Thanks @FITBMX :D

Life has changed a lot for this little gal recently. She got a new buddy at the end of January!

Red Panda by Mathias Appel, auf Flickr

At first they couldn't really stand each other. They were curious but still cautious and tried to avoid each other, but that didn't work out all the time.

Meeting the new roommate by Mathias Appel, auf Flickr

But now, roughly three weeks after he arrived, they are already best buds and were playing with each other all day long when I was there last Sunday :)

You are my new best friend... by Mathias Appel, auf Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back