I like it because it's subtle and is on the subject not other elements in the photo - it brings the viewer's attention to her, and almost gives her a glow.
I've played around a little with hand tinting B&W darkroom prints but so far only experimented on some of my duds (mistakes, boo-boos, whatever you want to call them). I've lately watched/recorded TCM silent Sunday nights and never realized some of those films were tinted with entire scenes in one color, which I find interesting but haven't quite figured out how use tinting in my photos in a way that I like yet.
I've been a teacher but don't particularly take pictures of kids or do street photography; when I've taken photos at an event I haven't had a problem but it probably depends - there may not be a concern with people taking photos of children that they're with at the event because it would be assumed they're taking photos of their own family and friends, but there may be a question/concern about someone taking pictures of other people's kids because the purpose may not be apparent.
I think much of the concern is people don't know where their kids' pictures might end up; it's likely they can't figure out why someone would want a picture of their kid. ASMP has a pocket release available, so if a photographer is taking candids it would be possible to get the parents' permission for usage after taking the photo. If they don't want their child's photo used for a particular purpose I think that needs to be respected. People that would see you with a camera don't know you, so have no way of knowing what your purpose is or that you're an artist/photographer.
From what I know many venues, sports teams, and sponsors of events are getting much more restrictive about people bringing in cameras or telephoto lenses in an effort to protect their name, their logo, etc. I've read that some high schools are starting to issue credentials, and teams at least in my area get releases signed for all their student athletes for photos for publicity purposes. I think with not just the internet but now social media too there's more of an effort to protect images of their sport or event especially if the participants are underage.
Post up some of your tinted pix.
Yes credentials are becoming more popular. Sometimes you have to pay big bucks for the credentials. The
Twins Festival in Ohio charges $1200 for credentials.
Photographers all have their own pet likes and dislikes. I try to keep an open mind to all techniques. But for me, technique is secondary to balancing the overall image. They all go hand in hand to perfect the photo.
"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary." ~ Cecil Beaton
I especially love hyper real HDR street photography.
http://www.artslant.com/ny/works/show/693481-yankee-doodle-dandy
http://www.artslant.com/ny/works/show/693493-march-of-the-zombies
I even HDR some old negs I shot in the 70's...
http://www.artslant.com/ny/works/show/691529-jennifur
http://www.artslant.com/ny/works/sh...e-finger-nails-in-the-style-of-daido-moriyama
Now, I don't HDR everything...but I do try many options.
Sometimes you can have a photo that works in many forms. I shot one on the Fourth of July and like the BW and color version. I use both in my portfolio. Just depends what mood I'm in. You would think a BW shot of fireworks would be a dud.
If I can figure out how to selective color the fireworks and keep the rest BW I may try that. It is special BW done with color correction filters and not just a plain Jane BW conversion. I think I would need to learn PS to do it right. The key is to
try different things...don't quit before you start!
As a documentary and street photog I never get model releases. Only commercial photogs get releases. Maybe magazine photogs that pay for photos may get a release. But generally speaking we non pros dont.
I forgot I did another selective color shot last November. But it is all BW, so not really selective color.
ArtSlant - Hakenkreuz in a Dress
I shot it back in the '70's. I gave it the 'treatment' for anonymity of the person. I don't know if she is dead or alive, still a Nazi or not. So I was conservative with the publication.
The Artslant pix are low res. In the print you can see some of the whites of her eyes. I thought about redoing since my technique was very low tech back then. But I am pretty happy with it as-is in high res and print form.