Is my title going to be offensive to museum curators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys keep bringing up comp. Go find a better Widelux vertical street shot on the web. I've only seen one of a cowboy at a rodeo. It was what I had with me at the time. Not the best choice, but we try to make due with what cam we got in hand.

I need some serious names if I am to drop my title. If you know mine is wrong, then you must know what is right. So send them in. If no one submits a good name, I'm leaving it as-is or can call it 'Untitled #3'.

Nobody cares if you drop your title or not, dude. Do whatever makes you happy.

No one has offered their own title to the pix. Any suggestions?
Rainbow Brite at 90?

You can look at it as a goofy metaphor, but your not a street photog. Your a set up, studio photog. So of course you have a different thought process in mind. You start doing museum quality street photos and then you can call me a goof.

Why is it that the so-called "Street Photographers" like to pretend that what they do is so much more difficult than what anyone else does? EVERY venue has its own challenges, and EVERY venue can claim to be more difficult than the others.

...Over the years I have heard all sorts of criticism about my photography...

"I don't like color."
"I don't like BW."
"I don't like HDR."
"I don't selective color."
"I don't like diffusion."
"I don't like Hyper-Real, it is too cartoonish."
"Your photos are too contrasty."
"Your photos are too grainy."
"Your trying to make something out of nothing."
"Your photos are too sensational."
"Don't photograph the homeless."
"Don't photograph kids without their parents permission."
"I find photos of people boring."
"Your not a good photographer."
'Your exploiting the homeless."
'Your photograph does not work."
"I don't like flower photographs they are boring."
"I don't understand what were you trying to say?"
"Digital photography is not real photography."
"You work is not museum worthy."
"Your work is overprocessed."
"Don't take pictures of people in public without their permission."
"Don't photograph anorexics."
"Cover up the breasts."
"Your photos are staged."
"I don't like your photo because it leaves nothing for the imagination."
"Your photography is vernacular."
"You should trash it."
"I don't like fisheye photos."
"I don't like wide-angle distortion."
"Don't send unsolicited photos to museums."
"She is a drunk, she is fat, she is an attention whore, she is trailer trash.'

Where would I be if I listened to these critics?
Possibly in a gallery by now...

Where would I be if I listened to these critics?

After you learn the basics, you have to learn to trust your own instincts.

If you can't trust your own instincts, then you must follow the critics and shoot for them and not for yourself. I just wanted to get some feedback on the title. So that was why I brought it up.

Shooting photographs that people DO like and not getting rejection notices?

You keep stating that you don't care what people think of your photography yet you keep trying to impress museum curators. If you are going to impress them then perhaps you need to stop and think about what THEY like as opposed to what YOU like.

You guys like 'Rainbow Lady Under a Storm Cloud'?

ilovemycam has ignored this before, but those of you listening in the audience may be interested:

Any credible museum is offered Stuff constantly. Any credible museum will have, several times a year at least a conversation with a substantial donor who is offering them 6 figures or more along with a donation of some rubbish. Their daughter's paintings, their friend's photographs. Any credible museum will turn these things down 100 percent of the time.

If you offer a museum $250,000 and a Picasso, they may well turn you down if the Picasso does not fit in with their curatorial vision, unless you're willing to let them sell or trade the Picasso away.

Why is this? Because a museum literally is it's curatorial vision. Without curatorial integrity, you haven't got a museum, you've just got a pile of stuff.

Art museums get all kinds of crap sent to them unsolicited, despite for the most part having a stated policy of "do not send us stuff". They pretty much throw it all out. It's frustrating, because it burns staff time, and it takes up dumpster space. If you're tempted to try out ilovemycam's plan, do a little research first. It took me about 1 minute of googling to turn up a half a dozen articles on this issue, and the rest of the links on the first page of results were links to various museum's "please don't mail us ****" statements.

If the use of the word anorexic fits the image and you can say with 100% certainty that the subject of the image is battling anorexia no it is not offensive.
That is not the case here, you have no confirmation from the subject that she is indeed anorexic and there are many indicators that she is not.

IMHO it will read untrue at the very least and stand out as careless, insensitive, inaccurate and or a selfish attempt to make your art something it isn't by using anorexic as a buzz word.

THIS X Infinity! ;)

In the front she looked very skinny. She may be thin for some other health reason? I don't know? When street shooting you don't have time to think much, you think later. In this case the anorexic looking body look made me want to shoot her as well as her bright dress. So that was the founding father of the photo as well as my description.

So you assume she is anorexic just because she is not part of the obesity problem? Or maybe you aren't aware of what advanced aging does to the human body, especially when there are not massive amounts of lipid tissue to hide the muscular atrophy and skin stretching that occurs?

"Founding father of the photo"? .. jeez.. what a goofy metaphor.... lol.

You can look at it as a goofy metaphor, but your not a street photog. Your a set up, studio photog. So of course you have a different thought process in mind. You start doing museum quality street photos and then you can call me a goof.

I don't care for street... and it is one also one of the hardest types of photography to shoot well! And, sorry.. you don't!

How do you like my studio, staged, setup UNDERWATER photography? ;) Or my setup, studio MACRO photography? (those insects follow posing instructions so well!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back