The Market

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
Just transplanting a new blog entry here:

""If you want to see local, feel the vibe, visit the local market" This is a quote frequently used on travel shows. It is true. There's not a place more honest than a local market.

Generally speaking, there are three types of markets that people get their groceries from in Taiwan. There's the "wet market", which means a dedicated place or building where venders sell their goods. The venders are somewhat permanent. They rent the stall and they are there everyday. It's call "wet" because fresh meat and fish are sold here, not just dry goods. Goods sold here are usually food related. Meat, vegetables, fruits and grains.

Then there's the supermarket, which need no explanation. The third type of market is rather interesting. I am sure this is common in other developing countries, but this is definitely not something you see in the west.

Just like settlers who find a geographically safe place, a spot that seemly offers protection from natural elements and defense against the bad guys, plus resources for food and water to lead a sustainable lifestyle, the same is happening in modern urban setting. The third type of market is one that is hard to define, because its physical setting is never intended to be a market. It takes the right size of street, right kind of neighbourhood and the right community. It's a random street that for some unknown reason, vendors and shoppers gather. Not only that, they come at a somewhat agreed time slot, and disperses at the end of it.

So on Sunday morning, my mom wanted to get some groceries. The weather is unusually good, so I decided to bring my camera along, which is unusual for the locals. Some will think I am a tourist which is highly unlikely to appear here, and that I don't look foreign. Some will think I'm a journalist trying to expose some dark secret, which can get me into trouble. So I need to look like I am just one of the regular dudes, but with a bigass camera.

This market was never official. It never had a name, so people just refer to it by the name of the street. No one can remember how it all started. It's like before people realized, it's already there and booming. There is probably no governing committee. None of the stall has a permit, nor do they file taxes. They come. They leave. It all seems synchronized, planned and rehearsed. When noon arrives, the morning vendors leave, and the afternoon shift moves in. The street will become a little less crowded, now occupied by cooked food, famous snacks and delicious meals that will go on all the way into the late night.

There is no governing body.... actually, I may take that back. You see, a place like this where there is no one taking charge is basically a land of opportunities. Where there's shade, there are cockroaches. And where there's chaos, there's someone to maintain the order. It's known in Taiwan that night markets and markets like this are "maintained" by underground groups. Triads if you will. The vendors pay them some fee, and they keep things the way it is. If a new comer arrives and wants to sell here too, well, got to pay respect to the gang. It's sort of a mutual understanding, even with the police, that order will be held in some way. Oh, this is also perhaps why the police are chasing these unlicensed vendors away. It's been taken care of.

Good or bad, this sets up an social order. Vendors gets to make a living, no matter how humble it may be, and the gang does their job by making peace with the cops. If nothing bad happens and people are surviving well, then it's good for everyone. The law is not flexible, so it's not going to adjust itself according to human needs. However, the human society is not a rigid system, and we morph in whatever way we need to sustain and progress."

Not sure if this will get too long, but my intention is on the story and less on the photos.
In this series, I did not focus on the things that people were selling, like meat, vege, fruits etc. I've done it plenty of times and I think it's too cliché. I decided to focus on more subtle interactions and relationships. Things that exist not for the sake of attracting attention or sell.

It's a family outing!
DSC_5445.jpg

Scooter fes!
DSC_5446.jpg

Drive-thru everywhere.
DSC_5451.jpg

Day Care on Wheels
DSC_5453.jpg

DSC_5454.jpg

The Sock Depot
DSC_5457.jpg

Three Buddies