The New Girl!

LittleItaly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I am totally new to all of this! Just got a Nikon D5000 for my birthday!

Have been playing around with my camera and taking some pictures, but boy oh boy do I have a lot of learning to do!

Would love some tips for beginners! As of right now...I know nothing!!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
"Would love some tips for beginners! As of right now...I know nothing"

Read something that you are supposed to do and learn why by doing it wrong.
If you read somewhere that you need a fast shutter speed to photograph action shots then I recommend that you don't do what they tell you. Yes, don't do it that way. Systematically and deliberately stray from that advice to learn the consequences. You will learn a great deal by experiencing the wrong way. In the days of film this learning technique was costly and time consuming. With your digital it is not costly and the feedback is immediate on your playback screen. Read something that you are supposed to do and learn why by doing it wrong.

Start by reading the manual that came with the camera.

Edit: Cant forget about understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson

I say take your camera off of auto and learn manually if you can. [:

That seems like bad advice, she barely knows where the shutter button is and you are telling her to have to deal with a light meter? Most people on this forum that have been here a couple months still can't shoot manual, nor is it the best idea most of the time.

A tip that will save you hundreds if not thousands: buy good quality lens/bodies, you have to be rich in order to buy cheap.

Look on Ken Rockwell's site for how to use your Nikon 5000. It will save you lots of time and headaches.;)

That seems like bad advice, she barely knows where the shutter button is and you are telling her to have to deal with a light meter? Most people on this forum that have been here a couple months still can't shoot manual, nor is it the best idea most of the time.

From someone who is still a complete noob at all this, the advice to take the camera off auto and learn manually was the best bit of advice that I have received. IMHO most newcomers have an inherent fear to shoot in manual mode. Those of us who are just learning about this topic believe that using the manual setting is something only experienced photographers do.

One of the things recommended in introduction section of Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" is to jump in and learn to use your camera in manual mode. For me it was a great bit of advice...although I acknowledge not ever noob may feel the same way.

A tip that will save you hundreds if not thousands: buy good quality lens/bodies, you have to be rich in order to buy cheap.
You got the stats for that statement?:sexywink:
Shooting manual can be the biggest advantage to a photographer. Learning it early is great because then you can manipulate the shutter speed or aperture to your liking, much more experimenting is going on. Along with reading beginner photography books, shooting manual is actually great advice. Don't mean to toot my own horn or anything.:lmao::thumbup::mrgreen:

I had my camera for a couple years before I finally took it off the little green box. I consider that second the moment that I started to really learn and understand photography. I wish I had done it from day 1.

I couldn't disagree with you more. I'd rather have a cheap Sigma 75-300mm that's a little soft past 200mm than have no 75-300mm at all while I save up 10 years to afford a down payment on L glass.

read the forums about focus and depth of field and shutter speed and apeture and iso and all that stuff. There is alot to learn but it is alot of fun to learn

taking it off auto and go full manual is not the best of advice...rather learn to shoot A-mode (aperture priority). it gives you creative control while holding your hand by handling the shutter speed and you can choose to leave the ISO at 100 or at auto.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back