The new lenses from Canon

I can get pretty close using the same lens on a 400D ;)

4777757572_684e5b5460_o.jpg

4777757310_df3c5d695d_z.jpg

And I'm sure if I tripod mount and pick a nice static subject one could get a bit more quality out of the lens! Though I'm pretty sure the 7D gives more fine detail resolution than the 400D (I've a friend who's found this when working with macro photography - things aren't nessessarily worlds sharper, but you get more fine resolution - esp when you resize for prints or the net)

Edit:

Here are some pics showing you what I am talking about. 1st image is the original image resized, and then one of and actual pixels crop.

EOS 7D 35mm 1.4L - Wide Open

1. Original image resized.
IMG_8686.jpg

2. Actual pixels crop.
Untitled-2.jpg

Note the detail in the stitching.

EOS 7D 70-200mm 2.8L IS II - Wide Open

1. Original image resized.
IMG_8560.jpg

2. Actual pixels crop.
Untitled-1.jpg

Note the detail in the individual pixels of the LCD screen, which is 1920x1080 by the way.

Keep in mind that these were shot wide open, and handheld. These camera/lens combos are capable of even greater detail.

I challenge anyone to put up images from another crop body that can rival the detail shown here.

Okay, I'm bumping this to the next page. No, I don't own a Pentax. The only crop body I own is a Nikon D2Xs.

And yes, new pro lenses like the 70-200 L can resolve a lot of detail, so the 7D may have an edge there. But there is more to image quality than resolution alone.

The new 500 f/4 and 600 f/4 L:

canon500mm.jpg

canon600mm.jpg

The 400 f/2.8 will be far, far more important in their lineup, though. If it weighs 28% less AND it's optically superb - what everyone expects - then it's certainly a breakthrough lens.

People on POTN have found the MTF charts of the 300 and 400 and they were absolutely freaking out about them, Ill try to find them for you.. Im interested in the FE too, wondering how good it will be on a crop :S

They look hot, but most are way out of what I can afford. I was really hoping to hear about a new flash to compete with the Nikon SB900 but I guess I'll have to wait longer

links are working for me - though I've noticed that when I open them in a new tab the computer first loads the TPF thread they are in before going to the address in the link.

links are working for me - though I've noticed that when I open them in a new tab the computer first loads the TPF thread they are in before going to the address in the link.

:lmao: Impatient me... it took a second or 2, but yeah it did load up in a new tab... WOW the 400 looks crazy good on the charts....

Look at that.......... it looks like the 2x TC out performed the 1.4x TC on both lenses...? Possibly some type of error??

:lmao: Impatient me... it took a second or 2, but yeah it did load up in a new tab... WOW the 400 looks crazy good on the charts....

Look at that.......... it looks like the 2x TC out performed the 1.4x TC on both lenses...? Possibly some type of error??

I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if the new 400 f/2.8 + 2x TC outperforms the 800 L. The weight is probably very similar, too.

I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if the new 400 f/2.8 + 2x TC outperforms the 800 L. The weight is probably very similar, too.

Im just talking TC vs TC here though... just seems ass-backwards that the 2x would beat out the 1.4x.

I am starting to save up for that new 400. The weight reduction alone is worth the upgrade, the the MTF readings are off the scale!!! It has always been the sharpest of the super-telephotos IMO. Anyone looking for a EF 400 f/2.8L?

I can get pretty close using the same lens on a 400D ;)

4777757572_684e5b5460_o.jpg

4777757310_df3c5d695d_z.jpg

And I'm sure if I tripod mount and pick a nice static subject one could get a bit more quality out of the lens! Though I'm pretty sure the 7D gives more fine detail resolution than the 400D (I've a friend who's found this when working with macro photography - things aren't nessessarily worlds sharper, but you get more fine resolution - esp when you resize for prints or the net)

I have to admit that is pretty good resolution for a 10 megapixel crop.

The 70-200 2.8 IS II is such a nice lens in this area. I am really starting to think that it may just be the best zoom lens ever made.

People on POTN have found the MTF charts of the 300 and 400 and they were absolutely freaking out about them, Ill try to find them for you.. Im interested in the FE too, wondering how good it will be on a crop :S

Found them:

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF 400mm f/2.8 IS II USM

:thumbup:

Derrel...

What was that you were saying about old lens designs again?

Go Canon!

Edit:

I really want to see the sample image listed on the canon site for the new 400mm in its full resolution. I bet it shows the individual drops of water in great detail at actual pixels.

I want the lens really bad too by the way. :lol:

Now wheres that $11,000 I saw lying around the house earlier....

Last edited:
I am starting to save up for that new 400. The weight reduction alone is worth the upgrade, the the MTF readings are off the scale!!! It has always been the sharpest of the super-telephotos IMO. Anyone looking for a EF 400 f/2.8L?

Ill trade you for my 85mm 1.2L.

You know you want to... :lol:

Im just talking TC vs TC here though... just seems ass-backwards that the 2x would beat out the 1.4x.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it also make little sense that the 400 f/2.8 would beat out the 300 f/2.8?

The 400 is "relatively faster" wrt focal lenght AND relatively lightweight compared to the new 300 f/2.8 L. I would assume that that makes for a more "challenging" design. And yet... it's supposedly better than the 300.

I'm assuming Canon went all out on the 400 f/2.8 and the 2x TC. Even Canon doesn't have unlimited resources.

Different priorities, perhaps?

Many sport photographers who shoot Canon use a 400mm f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8, depending on the sport, of course. Or a 600 if they need more reach. But I assume the 400 is more important in Canon's line up than the 300. More important to professionals, I mean. The 300 still might outsell the 400 overall.

And the 2x TC was more in need of a redesign than the 1.4

... right? :meh:

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back