The new lenses from Canon

The 300mm f2.8 IS L has always been a good seller because it has (and appears to be remaining) been one of the cheaper superexpensive telephotos which was sharp enough to take up to a 2*TC whilst still keeping IS and good sharpness. A big saving over a the regular 600mm (heavier and no IS and a much bigger price tag).

The new 400mm f2.8, aside from its price, however looks to be challenging the 300mm dominance. Lighter and longer whilst being sharp enough to take a 2*TC for 800mm it might work its way into a more popular position for those who demand reach (wildlife shooters and spots togs) whilst also needing mobility.

The 300mm f2.8 IS L has always been a good seller because it has (and appears to be remaining) been one of the cheaper superexpensive telephotos which was sharp enough to take up to a 2*TC whilst still keeping IS and good sharpness. A big saving over a the regular 600mm (heavier and no IS and a much bigger price tag).

The new 400mm f2.8, aside from its price, however looks to be challenging the 300mm dominance. Lighter and longer whilst being sharp enough to take a 2*TC for 800mm it might work its way into a more popular position for those who demand reach (wildlife shooters and spots togs) whilst also needing mobility.

Yeah, I meant that I see more professional sports photogs with 400mm than with 300mm lenses. So I'm not surprised that the new 400 appears to be better AND relatively lighter than the new 300. Which wouldn't make sense if R&D costs were the same for both lenses. But I'm sure they aren't. Canon wants to be THE brand for professional sports photographers.

I know the current 300mm f/2.8 is very good and popular with amateur bird and sports photographers alike (and with pros, but less so, IMO).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back