TATTRAT

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
jonobrands.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wow, what a welcome addition to the camera bag.

Went to do a few test shots with it last night and I am really pleased with the purchase. Great focal length, I can see this becoming a classic like the Nifty 50. Great for if you don't want to get a 35mm and/or the 50mm primes, this obviously cuts right down the middle.

After years of carrying a DSLR, the weight difference of this lens with the Z7 II body is fantastic.

FULL ALBUM OF TEST SHOTS

40mm f2 Shakedown Test: Start of Fall at Burke Lake Park by Jono Kenyon, on Flickr

40mm f2 Shakedown Test: Start of Fall at Burke Lake Park by Jono Kenyon, on Flickr

That's a keeper for sure. Excellent image fidelity.

My last shoot (soccer) was 7.5lbs of Canon... EOS1 with built in grip (8 AA batteries), EF 35-350, and a manfroto monopod. Not to mention my swivel chair that has a sturdy 3 legged base. One shoulder for the chair, the other for the bag.

Then I shoot with the X100V and it's a real joy.

That's a keeper for sure. Excellent image fidelity.

My last shoot (soccer) was 7.5lbs of Canon... EOS1 with built in grip (8 AA batteries), EF 35-350, and a manfroto monopod. Not to mention my swivel chair that has a sturdy 3 legged base. One shoulder for the chair, the other for the bag.

Then I shoot with the X100V and it's a real joy.
The major factor in my finally making the jump to the Z series is the prospect of returning to travel. Our last big trip pre-COVID, walking 11 miles around Brugges I thought I was going to die at the end of the day, lol. Too much body load, too much gear and I just really want to trim down the travel kit. I think the Z7 II is going to fit the bill nicely and I can leave more at home. This 40 will go in the bag for sure, especially for low light interior shots, and the 24-200 I think will be the ideal walk-around glass. Then with the Osmo Pocket 2 also in the mix, I should be well covered. I will carry the Peak Design travel tripod, another purchase I don't regret at all, it's been amazing in the field and just rock solid stable.

Looking good. Gotta love a decently rendered dof and bokeh. What's not to like.

Went to do a few test shots with it last night and I am really pleased with the purchase. Great focal length, I can see this becoming a classic like the Nifty 50. Great for if you don't want to get a 35mm and/or the 50mm primes, this obviously cuts right down the middle.
Thanks for sharing! I've had my eye on this for its compact size, but wasn't sure about how sharp it would be or how it rendered the out of focus areas. I typically have a 24-70 f/2.8 on when I'm not doing portraiture, but the Z-mount primes just weren't that compact, so the 50mm f/1.8s didn't seem like something I would use much. Having something this compact as a lightweight carry-around lens looks like a great choice!

Thanks for sharing! I've had my eye on this for its compact size, but wasn't sure about how sharp it would be or how it rendered the out of focus areas. I typically have a 24-70 f/2.8 on when I'm not doing portraiture, but the Z-mount primes just weren't that compact, so the 50mm f/1.8s didn't seem like something I would use much. Having something this compact as a lightweight carry-around lens looks like a great choice!
7 months later, and I decided to pick one of these up. I love the compact size and light weight, and build quality actually feels pretty decent. My first impression is that it is slightly less sharp than the 24-70 f/2.8, but I have to zoom in to 200% to tell, so not a big deal. It is noticeably sharper than my older AF-S 50mm f/1.8G with similar framing and settings. Bokeh was pleasing in the few shallow DoF shots I took, but I'll have to run it through its paces to get a better feel for how it renders.

However 40mm is a strange focal length; too wide to fill the frame with my subject, not quite wide enough to capture a full scene. I keep wanting to get closer, but find myself just inches from my subject's face. Hopefully I get more comfortable with it after some use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back