The newbie has a question!

I find it fun to create things, and see what I made. Of course I use whatever I have, like string, tape, and Photoshop :)

Wow... that conversation between mojoses and ferny sounded remarkably like me, in a couple years from now after learning to get good at photography (ferny), talking to myself now (mojoses). I too am just starting in photography, and I am really enjoying it. I've always had an artistic side to me that I haven't really been able to express with normal methods like drawing, painting, sculpting, etc. I've always felt like I have a good artistic eye, but little physical talent. This is why photography is perfect for me. I really love being able to make art by little more than pushing a button and knowing how to expose correctly. What really fascinates me is that, even though the process to capture an image and make a print is pretty simple, every photographer can still have his or her own personal artistic style, like in any other art form. This was the main thing that drew me into photography.

PS: I have just written a nice, long introduction post over in the Welcomes and Introductions forum, so if anyone would like to read about me they can check it out at http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13330

Hmm. There is, I am afraid, rather more to being a good photographer than just pressing a button - just like there is more to being an artist than sharpening your pencil.
But you have made a good start in coming here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, especially the ones starting with 'how do I...?' :)

Unimaxium said:
Wow... that conversation between mojoses and ferny sounded remarkably like me, in a couple years from now after learning to get good at photography (ferny), talking to myself now (mojoses).

Hold up, are you saying I'm good at photography? Give it a couple of days and you'll change your mind. :mrgreen:

I've only been doing since February myself.

And is it just my, or does the spelling of February look wrong there even though it's not?

Hertz van Rental said:
Hmm. There is, I am afraid, rather more to being a good photographer than just pressing a button - just like there is more to being an artist than sharpening your pencil.
But you have made a good start in coming here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, especially the ones starting with 'how do I...?' :)

Well, yes, I was overexaggerating a bit. But what I was kind of trying to get at is that with photography, the image happens at the push of the shutter button, and after that it's basically tweaks in print exposure or development or such that really make the image a piece of art. It's kind of different from sharpening a pencil because that's only what you do when you're getting ready to make a drawing. Sharpening the pencil would be more akin to focusing the lens and setting the aperture/shutter speed. What is different with photography is that the image happens at one point in time. But when you're making a drawing, the image is created over time by the artist. He/she can't draw every point in the picture like a camera exposes all parts of the film at once. Maybe I'm a little incoherent in my ideas, but I think there's something really unique about photography that you don't find in other major art forms.

ferny said:
Unimaxium said:
Wow... that conversation between mojoses and ferny sounded remarkably like me, in a couple years from now after learning to get good at photography (ferny), talking to myself now (mojoses).

Hold up, are you saying I'm good at photography? Give it a couple of days and you'll change your mind. :mrgreen:

I've only been doing since February myself.

And is it just my, or does the spelling of February look wrong there even though it's not?

Ok, so maybe it's me after 9 months talking to myself now... :lol:

Unimaxium said:
Hertz van Rental said:

Well, yes, I was overexaggerating a bit. But what I was kind of trying to get at is that with photography, the image happens at the push of the shutter button, and after that it's basically tweaks in print exposure or development or such that really make the image a piece of art. It's kind of different from sharpening a pencil because that's only what you do when you're getting ready to make a drawing. Sharpening the pencil would be more akin to focusing the lens and setting the aperture/shutter speed. What is different with photography is that the image happens at one point in time. But when you're making a drawing, the image is created over time by the artist. He/she can't draw every point in the picture like a camera exposes all parts of the film at once. Maybe I'm a little incoherent in my ideas, but I think there's something really unique about photography that you don't find in other major art forms.

Sigh.
It's so hard to be Zen when people take you literally.
Define 'a point in time'.
Taking a photograph starts before you press the button and can go on for quite a while afterwards.
I understand what you are trying to say, I'm just trying to tell you that there can be an awful lot more to it than you seem to think. :study:

Unimaxium said:
I've always had an artistic side to me that I haven't really been able to express with normal methods like drawing, painting, sculpting, etc. I've always felt like I have a good artistic eye, but little physical talent. This is why photography is perfect for me.

Henri Cartier Bresson called photography the "artless art", describing almost exactly what you have said here. HCB wanted to be a great painter, but had to settle for being a great photographer. :wink:

okay, I was walking through town earlier I found myself looking at things and thinking. "That would make a really good Photo" It's like that TV advert ages ago that had a man walking through the woods and there was a path of polaroids behind him. (Trivialising it a little but it still gets the point across!)

And I thought the area where I live would be really rubbish to take photo's in but I looked closer and there are some amazing buildings hidden about the place!

I got to get a decent camera (Instead of using throw-away ones!! haha)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back