The Obamas' Portraits

I thought the rendering of Michelle Obama was unflattering, in the sense that it did not look at all like her. President Obama's likeness was clear and obviously "him", but Michelle Obama's rendering simply did not project the Michelle Obama that millions of us have actually seen and heard on TV...just...looked...like...somebody...else. Not flattering, not really well-executed artistically either. AWKWARD hand and arm positioning.

Okay, no one is talking about the most egregious mistake in all of this.

It's the Obamas' portraits, not the Obama's portraits.

I waited until page three to point this out. I think I deserve points for restraint.

:1398:

And what's with Mr. Obamas extra finger on his left hand?
I don't mind different, but uhmmmm?

I had to look back to see what you meant.
Kind of looks like there’s another finger but I think his shadows while painting make it look like that. I’m sure more people will think that though.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Ha! I outlasted you!

I am an English teacher; there is only so much eye-twitching I can handle before I snap ;)
FB_IMG_1477690930903.jpg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

These are well executed from a technical standpoint. Definitely not in the traditional, classical, portrait style. I would expect various negative responses due to the stylized rendering. However, the First Ladies portrait takes me back to early 19th century, African American artists. I think the artist has captured the soul of her subject in this fine render. When I look at portraits, I search for the subjects soul in the render. This painting hits all the marks and is beautiful on so many levels.

The President's render is extremely busy, highly stylized, and captures his soul to the core. There is a lot to consider when entering inside this large canvas. The subjects posture invites the viewer to sit next to him, have a conversation, take in the landscape, and smell the flowers. It really is a great lesson on how to engage the viewer. I find the render consistent with the artist's other works but in this one, he is clearly challenged by the lack of a close relationship. He makes up for that by rendering it in a way that let's the viewer explore a potential relationship. It is a very perceptive, and thought provoking render. I would prefer to be in it's presence as opposed to viewing a small jpeg. There is a great deal of substance here. I would connect better being close to it so I could enter in.

Last edited:
I like the picture I saw of him standing looking at her portrait, that's kind of cool. I often like stylized work, but for some reason with hers when I looked at a smaller version of it, it was hard to tell who it was. That proportion being off just bugs me! lol That seems pretty basic stuff an artist should have learned. Making something intentionally disproportionate can work too, but I don't think it does so much with this portrait, her arm just looks too long and has an odd shape to it. I agree, I'd like to see them in real life actual size.

Amy Sherald Paintings Has a very identifiable style, and she needs only one color to paint all her subjects' skin. They all look very much alike as well. She appears to spend a great deal of her energy on painting the fabrics of their clothing. Looking at her "about" page one might begin to understand why Michelle selected her as her artist, although controversy was sure to follow.

I'm particularly interested in this one: http://www.amysherald.com/2016/9/11...laiming-ownership-of-that-freedom-was-another Here we see the same face as nearly everyone else, "lightened" somewhat by the overlay of some gray pigment, and the clothing rendered flawlessly.

Talented artist. What a vivid life to lead. :586: Thanks for the links, Designer!

I really love them. Maybe it's just me, but I think it looks like Michelle, and I think both are really beautifully rendered. I would LOVE to have a framed copy of Michelle's portrait.

His looks like bad cgi. Hers i like the dress but her actual self seems flat and seperate from the rest of the painting. His irks me more every time i look at it. I'm sure it took some effort to get all the folds and lines but is so computer rendered and floating in space. i would have went with traditional and painterly.

Most reactions

Back