The one that started it all!

I have been "into" photography only in the past 5 or 6 years really, but, I have always taken pictures, if that makes any sense. I got my first camera in like 83, it was a kodak with a 5 flash "bar" that was a ***** to get replacements for. . . none of those pics survive, that I'm aware of.

Where ever I have ended up living, from Amsterdam to Hawaii and 12 countries, 19 cities, I have always had a camera. It wasn't until I lived on O'ahu that I got my first DSLR from a journalist that was getting rid of old stuff. Prior to that, I had a Sony DSH1 and I BEAT IT LIKE A RENTED MULE. Because of my career and schedule, I had a lot more time for night shooting than anything else, so that's what I got into. I LOVE long exposures. I LOVE sunrise shooting and full moon lit shooting. I shot film for a LOT longer than I have shot digital, but it wasn't trying to be artful, they were pics for me and my photoalbums. Stuff that I thought I could maybe share with the kids one day. Since I'm not having kids, I started sharing here instead:lol:

I have a few shots that I scanned in from film, this is still one of my faves, and my happy place. The view from my little apartment in Amsterdam:

7098144761_a6158032e7_b.jpg

Blackpool, U.K

6906350966_48229422f9_b.jpg

The world of Digital:This is one of the first night time shots I was excited about, taken from the lanai on the corner of Ala Moana and Hobron

2813849321_5382dafe14_b.jpg

this is one of the first, but I still love it even though there isn't much to it:

2825690773_5ec4e8432b_b.jpg

I really need to dig through the boxes of photos I have from all over the damned place. . . it would be hard to really narrow it down to 1 shot in particular, but, I do recall the moment when I realized I wanted to explore photography and incorporate it into my work as a Chef, my pleasure of traveling, and start documenting more of my nomadic lifestyle.

I have been "into" photography only in the past 5 or 6 years really, but, I have always taken pictures, if that makes any sense. I got my first camera in like 83, it was a kodak with a 5 flash "bar" that was a ***** to get replacements for. . . none of those pics survive, that I'm aware of.

Where ever I have ended up living, from Amsterdam to Hawaii and 12 countries, 19 cities, I have always had a camera. It wasn't until I lived on O'ahu that I got my first DSLR from a journalist that was getting rid of old stuff. Prior to that, I had a Sony DSH1 and I BEAT IT LIKE A RENTED MULE. Because of my career and schedule, I had a lot more time for night shooting than anything else, so that's what I got into. I LOVE long exposures. I LOVE sunrise shooting and full moon lit shooting. I shot film for a LOT longer than I have shot digital, but it wasn't trying to be artful, they were pics for me and my photoalbums. Stuff that I thought I could maybe share with the kids one day. Since I'm not having kids, I started sharing here instead:lol:

I have a few shots that I scanned in from film, this is still one of my faves, and my happy place. The view from my little apartment in Amsterdam:

Blackpool, U.K

The world of Digital:This is one of the first night time shots I was excited about, taken from the lanai on the corner of Ala Moana and Hobron

this is one of the first, but I still love it even though there isn't much to it:

I really need to dig through the boxes of photos I have from all over the damned place. . . it would be hard to really narrow it down to 1 shot in particular, but, I do recall the moment when I realized I wanted to explore photography and incorporate it into my work as a Chef, my pleasure of traveling, and start documenting more of my nomadic lifestyle.

I seriously love all of those pictures :)

I started because my wife had a baby and became a bit 'I'm fat and ugly' and I figured a bit of creative lighting and a dslr would cheer her up about how she looked. This was the first time I took a shot of her, and discovered she was pretty photogenic.

$P4307121.JPG

No idea when I started, but here is the first shot I took with my T3i a few months ago.
$1-IMG_0010-001.JPG

The earliest photo I could find: Dated Aug 9, 1976. Taken with a Polaroid SX-70.

FirstPhoto.jpg

But I credit this image for striking the spark:

FirstPhotoSpark.jpg

Last edited:
This isn't the very first photo I took, those are long gone unfortunately. They were taken with a 100 Fisher Price Perfect Shot :)

But here's a comparison of the first engagement session I did and one I recently did.

Check out the awesome, "dreamy" Gaussian Blur. LOL So bad. Still, this was the first time I started taking anything seriously. I still like the framing, but could have done a better job utilizing DOF.
$lisabj9 copy.jpg

And the recent favorite:
$IMG_8945 edit.jpg

Blackpool, U.K

That second shot is WOW.

I have to say, I never used a film camera all that much, except borrowing from friends and relatives to take snapshots, but I got my first digital camera in 2004, and in 2005, when I went to switzerland, I discovered the joys of digital photography. I enjoyed taking a lot of photos, but many were from moving trains. This one is one of my early favourites, taken with a Powershot S50 on a fast moving train (see the shutter speed). I think I got lucky :)

Barn in a field by harishankar, on Flickr

Since then I've taken a lot of pictures, mostly with P & S cameras, and trusting my eye. Not really technical, but wanted to take beautiful landscapes, mostly.

Only recently have I got into DSLRs.

I have to say, I never used a film camera all that much, except borrowing from friends and relatives to take snapshots, but I got my first digital camera in 2004, and in 2005, when I went to switzerland, I discovered the joys of digital photography. I enjoyed taking a lot of photos, but many were from moving trains. This one is one of my early favourites, taken with a Powershot S50 on a fast moving train (see the shutter speed). I think I got lucky :)

Barn in a field by harishankar, on Flickr

Since then I've taken a lot of pictures, mostly with P & S cameras, and trusting my eye. Not really technical, but wanted to take beautiful landscapes, mostly.

Only recently have I got into DSLRs.

Shooting from a moving train can give you a cool "panning" effect without actually panning :)

Shooting from a moving train can give you a cool "panning" effect without actually panning :)

Yes, but in this case, I suppose the shutter speed was a bit high for the panning/motion blur. From the exif data it is 1/1000. :)

This pic I took of Niagara Falls back in October. It was my first outage with my first/current DSLR.

DSC_0105.jpg

Most reactions

Back