The one that started it all!

Not my first camera, but my first "store-bought" digital camera. Kodak made this one at my request, over 20 years ago. The first Infrared Digital camera that they sold.

It still works- but required tearing down a couple of times.

If you really want a film camera, I and several other members have Given them away on this forum. Post a thread in the Film forum. I still have an entry-level Konica SLR with lens boxed up to send to someone.

The upper part of the frame is the calibration pixels. You get them by writing your own raw convertor, mine was in FORTRAN.

Just went back and looked at some notes I had written down. The Kodak DCS-100 was 1.1 MegaPixel and retailed for $13,000.

Is that the same thing?

The Kodak DCS-100 was a Nikon F3 with a digital back tethered to a luggable computer. It had a 1.3MPixel "KAF-1300". One of the groups at my work made a Nikon F4 1MPixel digital camera before the DCS-100, it went up on the Space Shuttle. I worked on a two-color IR sensor in the early 1980s.

I waited for the DCS-200 which was all self-contained. I had the sensor spec sheets for the 1.6MPixel "KAF-1600" that it used, and showed it was very good in the IR region up to 1.1um. BUT, the camera was not offered in IR- had a annealed IR cover plate. I called Kodak, talked to the engineers- they did a custom run of 50 detectors for Infrared.

This DCS200ir body was $12,400. I think this is the first one sold by Kodak.

Funny "Postscript", 3 years ago I called the same Division to ask for a Monochrome version of the Leica M9. They remembered me from the DCS200ir. Kodak/Truesense had wanted to do a monochrome version, now the M Monochrom is out. I know a lot of happy engineers at Truesense.

Some Nikon/Kodak history can be found here.

Not my first camera, but my first "store-bought" digital camera. Kodak made this one at my request, over 20 years ago. The first Infrared Digital camera that they sold.

It still works- but required tearing down a couple of times.

If you really want a film camera, I and several other members have Given them away on this forum. Post a thread in the Film forum. I still have an entry-level Konica SLR with lens boxed up to send to someone.

The upper part of the frame is the calibration pixels. You get them by writing your own raw convertor, mine was in FORTRAN.

I have two very nice film cameras posted that are looking for a home. [/end shameless plug]

The first photo I've ever taken was probably when I was 5 or 6, on a plastic camera with 120 B&W film, and printed on glossy paper with the rippled edges at a local photo store, sometime in the mid-50's. Knowing my inclinations at the time, I probably disassembled the camera shortly thereafter. It had the same relation to photography as the toy chemistry set has to science. Mind you, the toy chemistry sets you COULD get at the time would set things on fire, blow up, or poison (or at least sicken) the entire household. Which is probably why I got a lot of books as gifts.

I remember the image that got me into this mess...lol! I was about 6 years old (1966), and I was visiting relatives in Arizona. I was out wandering around on their land... with my little Kodak Instamatic. As I am walking, I saw a Horned Toad... sitting on a bunch of multi-colored round river washed pebbles, right next to an old piece of really heavily weathered wood. There was wonderful detail in the wood, the pebbles were beautiful... and that beady eyed little lizard provided a great subject. I can still see it in my head! I shot a whole roll of film, different angles, some ambient, some with some flashcubes I had with me. I got a couple of keepers out of that... and I wish I still had them, but they were misplaced a long time ago. But that is the image that got me wanting to improve my images... and wanting better equipment.

Last edited:
The first photo I've ever taken was probably when I was 5 or 6, on a plastic camera with 120 B&W film, and printed on glossy paper with the rippled edges at a local photo store, sometime in the mid-50's. Knowing my inclinations at the time, I probably disassembled the camera shortly thereafter. It had the same relation to photography as the toy chemistry set has to science. Mind you, the toy chemistry sets you COULD get at the time would set things on fire, blow up, or poison (or at least sicken) the entire household. Which is probably why I got a lot of books as gifts.

Hahahah... I remember those! I got in trouble several times with that set! lol!

Here's my first digital post. Everyone told me it sucked, but that couldn't be. I was taking pictures for 45 years and I was an expert. After all, how different could digital be from film? :roll: I have since been humbled.

View attachment 40708

my first digital camera was a 1.3 MP sony mavica. the one that had built in "image stabilization" that almost doubled the lens size. it took 3.5" floppy disks for storage. just before memory sticks came out.

Well, if we are talking first digital camera.

My first actual digital camera was a 1.3MP gift camera that All-State was giving out when you get a car insurance quote. I got it back when I was 16, and used it as a way to take pictures of my little Honda fart rocket crx and put it on car domain.

The images were so terribly blurry becAuse of the crappy lens elements that were used it wasn't even funny. I even remember that back then, most monitors had a native resolution of 800x600 too!

My first self purchased digital camera was the PowerShot S2iS that was used to take the picture I previously posted in this thread. I dropped it and broke it like 2 weeks after, and ended up buying the S3iS.

The first dSLR I have ever received was a D40 that my parents bought me, but I rarely used it and it eventually just sat in a closet for years and years. My first personally bought dSLR was a Nikon D60 that I bought in 2007, thinking I could cut down on my overhead in the graphic design business by taking my own stock photos. Ha, I quickly realized I had no idea what I was doing.

However, that D60 changed my life forever. I would have never pursued photography to the extent I'm in now if I hadn't ever bought that camera.

Back in the mid 80's when i was about 8 or so, I talked my mom into buying me a camera for my birthday. All I remember is that it was plastic, long, and thin, and the film it took was a weird cartridge type thing (110 something or other? Not sure how I remember that).

I remember running around trying to think of things to photograph, then mailing my film away to get it developed. My mom made me spend my own money on film and getting it developed, so I had to make the 24 exposures last. I still remember how exciting it was to get that envelope in the mail, and opening it up to see the fruits of my prodigious skills. Coincidentally, just last week I was leafing through some old junk at my parents' house and I found my old album containing all the pics I took with that camera. They're mostly just me and my friends and siblings dressed in cheesy 80's kid clothes and doing stupid things. Glad it never got thrown away, though, because it's good for a laugh if nothing else.

Fairly quickly I either lost interest in taking pictures or I got tired of paying for them, so aside from the odd disposable camera on a camping trip, I never touched another camera until digital hit the market and prices became reasonable. In 2002 or so, I picked up a 2.0 MP FujiFilm point and shoot camera that took "Smart Media" memory cards. I remember buying a 64MB card for about $50; it could hold about 80 pictures if I recall. I had it with me in Greece once and had to keep deleting pictures one by one to make room for new ones.

In 2008 I picked up a Canon PowerShot something or other, which was a nice little camera that actually provided semi-auto and full manual capability. I used it to learn the basics of exposure and other fundamentals, then got into DSLR in early 2012. It was nice because I was able to hit the ground running right away with the DSLR, having learned many of the fundamental concepts with the PowerShot.

Back in the mid 80's when i was about 8 or so, I talked my mom into buying me a camera for my birthday. All I remember is that it was plastic, long, and thin, and the film it took was a weird cartridge type thing (110 something or other? Not sure how I remember that).

I remember running around trying to think of things to photograph, then mailing my film away to get it developed. My mom made me spend my own money on film and getting it developed, so I had to make the 24 exposures last. I still remember how exciting it was to get that envelope in the mail, and opening it up to see the fruits of my prodigious skills. Coincidentally, just last week I was leafing through some old junk at my parents' house and I found my old album containing all the pics I took with that camera. They're mostly just me and my friends and siblings dressed in cheesy 80's kid clothes and doing stupid things. Glad it never got thrown away, though, because it's good for a laugh if nothing else.

Fairly quickly I either lost interest in taking pictures or I got tired of paying for them, so aside from the odd disposable camera on a camping trip, I never touched another camera until digital hit the market and prices became reasonable. In 2002 or so, I picked up a 2.0 MP FujiFilm point and shoot camera that took "Smart Media" memory cards. I remember buying a 64MB card for about $50; it could hold about 80 pictures if I recall. I had it with me in Greece once and had to keep deleting pictures one by one to make room for new ones.

In 2008 I picked up a Canon PowerShot something or other, which was a nice little camera that actually provided semi-auto and full manual capability. I used it to learn the basics of exposure and other fundamentals, then got into DSLR in early 2012. It was nice because I was able to hit the ground running right away with the DSLR, having learned many of the fundamental concepts with the PowerShot.

Awesome story :)

industry by keips66, on Flickr
my first shot with the d90 in january 2010... -my first dslr. -point n shoot before that, but the pictures are locked up on a hard drive in a computer that no longer boots up. before that is some film but nothing good. -just traveling and camping and a lot of black underexposed pictures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back