The only good mouse is a dead mouse!!!!!

I may just have to set the couch out in my driveway and light it on fire and watch them scurry.

Years ago we had a mouse problem. We called an exterminator. He told us the only way to get rid of mice is to get a cat.

The trick with keeping a mouser is feeding it. Feed it too much and it won't hunt. Don't feed it enough and it will leave.

Many years ago we had a cat that was rather large as domestic cats go. We called him Big Butt. The kids named him that and, although we told the kids the name was not appropriate, the name stuck.

Big Butt had access to the house via a swinging pet door and could come and go as he pleased. He would occasionally bring home dead mice and small rabbits which I would take away from him and flush down the toilet.

Through sheer neglect we ran out of cat food one day. Big Butt did not get fed for a couple of days. A couple of nights later I was alone in the house when I heard Big Butt come in through his swinging door. I turned and looked, and there he stood, standing tall in the middle of the living room with the neighbor's chihuahua clamped in his teeth. The poor dog was dead as a door nail.

I got the dog's corpse away from Big Butt. He was to big to flush so I put him in a trash bag and dumped him in the garbage can. Then I went out and got some cat food. I'm sure Big Butt interpreted the return of tuna to his bowl as a reward for killing the dog.

For months afterward the neighbors posted a reward for the return of their dog. I never said anything.

When I lived on a farm we kept chickens and they used to catch and eat mice (quite frightening to see them swallow a live one whole) and you get the added advantage of fresh eggs.
But mouse poo is less horrid than chicken poo so it might not be a solution worth considering.

Actor, your Big Butt story is just awesome!! It's really creepy and horrible, yet I could not stop laughing hysterically. Excellent dark humor! Made my day.

Actor, your Big Butt story is just awesome!! It's really creepy and horrible, yet I could not stop laughing hysterically. Excellent dark humor! Made my day.

Same here, however in Big Butts defense Chiuauas do resemble mice. ;)

Nothing has worked, I STILL have mice! I've poisoned them AND my dog in the process (my dog is fine, if you are wondering I do know how deal with that problem now). I would get a cat, but I don't want to poison a cat. The mice are eating the poison but they are still coming back for more so there's either WAY more mice than I thought or it's not killing them. I have 6 traps set up all over my house in "hot spots" and I haven't caught a single mouse. I am getting desperate!

I've heard that some chemical companies will rush out and terminate any rats found resistant to posion (to prevent spread of immune genes) don't know if it works with mice though...

All I can say is start getting a lot of metal tins and dry up their food source - if all your food is in tins and you keep your rubbing stored a distance away from the house you might discourage them from nesting in large numbers.

We had a mouse problem at our cabin, i bought these traps:

Mouse Traps, mouse traps, traps mouse, victor mouse trap, mouse trapping to kill mice.

they are super easy to use, no Houdini escapes and sounded quick too (i heard one go off once).

The audio (sonic?) repellents also worked really well, but then either it broke or they just ignored it and came back.

I recommend the trap, stick it in a high traffic area where you think they will be, take everyone out of the house for an afternoon to lull them into a false sense of security and...

Bottom line is they reproduce at amazing rates. Traps aren't going to catch them all, and the ones who live, again, reproduce. It's a cycle that has you beat I'm afraid.
So where does that leave you.. Well you can have an exterminator come in who can try and locate their nests and bait those, but if there are quite a few and inside walls, that will get messy and might cause damage to drywall... He can set poison traps they take back, but then you end up with dead mice in the walls... You can try those electronic controls like this Electronic pest and mouse repeller(ultrasonic) for rodent pest control, mice, rats, mouse, and other insects, coupled with good house management (leave no food or water available) and you might see some results that way.
Or you could go and find a good family friendly breed of cat like a Ragdoll Welcome to RagsGalore Ragdolls
Then let it take care of the mice and have some fun doing it.

Bottom line is they reproduce at amazing rates. Traps aren't going to catch them all, and the ones who live, again, reproduce. It's a cycle that has you beat I'm afraid.
So where does that leave you.. Well you can have an exterminator come in who can try and locate their nests and bait those, but if there are quite a few and inside walls, that will get messy and might cause damage to drywall... He can set poison traps they take back, but then you end up with dead mice in the walls... You can try those electronic controls like this Electronic pest and mouse repeller(ultrasonic) for rodent pest control, mice, rats, mouse, and other insects, coupled with good house management (leave no food or water available) and you might see some results that way.
Or you could go and find a good family friendly breed of cat like a Ragdoll Welcome to RagsGalore Ragdolls
Then let it take care of the mice and have some fun doing it.

I have cleaned and cleaned, I have my kids scared to even drop a crumb, we are vacuuming 2500 sq ft on a daily basis! I am just exhausted with the whole thing. I would get a cat but I have put out so much poison I am afraid that if I got a cat I would poison it accidentally.

if you got hte cat the need for poison would be 0 - the cat would do it all. Jut leave your home poison free for a good long time first (and remov any remaining posion traps) and just lump it with regular non-poison based traps

Hmm.. well seems like the only option for the super mice is to set the home on fire and try again.

Most reactions

Back