The Paleo diet...ugh...

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know if anyone here is doing it, and idk how widespread it is among your circle of acquaintances, but is anyone else tired of hearing about it?

I know a few people who do it and they all say stuff like "The Paleo diet cured my arthritis." And they say it pretty much every time I meet them.

Well, could it possibly be possible that maybe your arthritis was helped after you began paying attention to your diet at all in the first place? You can only go up from Micky D's and pizza, just saying.

It's getting almost as bad as Crossfit.

Maybe I just know really fad-ish people.

Tell them that gristle was an important source of "fiber". Not to mention that the REAL Paleo diet would upset the modern tummies as that diet was not as hygenic as we now do stuff.

the people i know who love paleo also enjoy the bad form of crossfit.

Not heard of it yet mate. Though people tend to atribute health changes to the last thing that happened or a change that was made. It's a pretty well known phenomenon so I'm not suprised.

We last saw it on a huge scale with the MMR vaccine but humans are naturally really bad at assessing risk.

Tell them that gristle was an important source of "fiber". Not to mention that the REAL Paleo diet would upset the modern tummies as that diet was not as hygenic as we now do stuff.

I feel like there's so much placebo effect going on. Like non-celiac people who cut out grains. It's like when somebody buys a new, expensive camera and then touts how great it is to help validate their purchase.

It's even worse though when someone who does high intensity exercise says they're cutting out basically 80% of healthy carbohydrates. Good luck with that.

Not heard of it yet mate. Though people tend to atribute health changes to the last thing that happened or a change that was made. It's a pretty well known phenomenon so I'm not suprised.

We last saw it on a huge scale with the MMR vaccine but humans are naturally really bad at assessing risk.

It might just be a big deal in the states. I don't know how the health/diet culture is abroad, but the USA loves some fearmongering healthly living dogma.

Just fyi, cannibalism was very prevalent during the paleoindian time period.

Oh, we get our fair share of the healthy living crap too right now mate. Not quite as much of you guys but then again Glasgow is the heart attack capital of the known universe.

Anyone for a deep fried pizza and chips?

Oh, we get our fair share of that too right now mate. Not quite as much of you guys but then again Glasgow is the heart attack capital of the known universe.

Getting stabbed in the heart doesn't count.

Alright. I'll jump in. I can't resist the subject. Food. Such a weakness for me. Hi, there. (And, hello, to everyone else!) I am new to this forum, but a huge proponent of food. I am a homesteader, in that I grow/raise enough fruits and vegetables and eggs for my family's (and a couple of close friends' ) consumption. I have a five-year goal to raise our meat, too.

I call myself a one-rat study. Until eighteen months ago, I would have told you I eat great; have an awesome diet. But, then 18 months ago, while reading a very intensive gardening book, the author described some digestive symptoms that really was dead-on for my own. Made me curious. The next day, I did not put milk in my coffee (I loved milk in my coffee, and dairy in all forms). The *symptomatic* difference on day one was noticeable. Very.

I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about those symptomatic differences. They are surprising. And, yes, I agree that there has been a substantial decrease in all things associated with inflammation. Substantial. If I thought my audience would ever be worth the effort, I could write an interesting blog...because I didn't follow anyone's diet. I listened to my very own body. Observation is key.

From that first day of no more milk/dairy, I started a mission to feed myself *correctly*...correctly being based on my body's response to food. In much regard, I treated myself like a child experiencing solid foods for the first time. Took *everything* out and then put things back in. Guess where I ended up?

I eat tons of vegetables (and no vegetable is off limits, except for those to which I've decided I am intolerant), anywhere from 2-6 eggs a day, fruit galore, seeds, nuts and meat. I don't consume any form of lactose or gluten and very, very limited grains (rice, ancient grains). (It should be noted that, of course, my diet is non-GMO and organic.) There are very few processed food items in our cupboards (I am now experimenting with getting rid of added sugars from my diet but I just can't seem to kick the habit). I am 46 years old, healthy by all measures (BMI, fat percentage (granted, a bit borderline), cholesterol, blood pressure), on absolutely no medicines (70% of Americans are). When I tell acquaintances of my experience, I'm labeled following Paleo but I'm not. I am following a one-rat study diet. The one that works for my individual body.

I recommend: don't follow a diet. Listen to your body. Listen closely. Food alone can make you very well. Food alone. Very well indeed.

So, I'll get off my soapbox about food for now. I get a bit wordy about it. I find it just a wee bit important. Eventually I'll get around to sharing some images. HOPE something in here makes you a bit curious about your food.

Lol, naw... that's counted as a seperate statistic.

It made me laugh a couple of years back when a few stabbings happened in London it was all over the news. Doesn't even make the papers up here usually.

my body is telling me brownie sundaes and margaritas.

but ill settle for the thin mints in my freezer.

Just fyi, cannibalism was very prevalent during the paleoindian time period.

That's actually alright according to Paleo, you see, but the issue is that ancient humans weren't genetic cesspools of tumors and preservatives like modern humans.

But man, if you find an untainted Aboriginal soul just wandering around, chow down.

I don't hear about it much. However, both of my parents are on it (for several years now) and they have lost about 60lbs between the two of them. It helped my dad with blood sugar issues as well as cholesterol medication. I think that they both look too thin and I also think it made them look much older. They imo, didn't need to lose the weight to begin with. They looked healthy before now they almost look sick.

I probably shouldn't join this conversation. I have extremely strong views on nutrition. I will agree you have an extremely valid point. Honestly though, if they did cure their health with a diet change- be happy for them! Weather it took a fad to do it or not, at least they are speaking about something positive. I'd much rather hear someone rave about their new diet than hear them complain about their arthritis over a bag of cheetos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back