Status
Not open for further replies.

stapo49

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought this was interesting. Anyone else been through this sort of thing?

Darrell Brown

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Seems harsh! but maybe I'm not as savvy ;)

I thought this was interesting. Anyone else been through this sort of thing?

Darrell Brown

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yup, I do. Though there's three sides to every story. Seems to me this situation could have been defused according to that story easily. Just show the lady the footage. Of course you shouldn't have to but it's the easy way out if her kids weren't in it. So maybe they were and the tog is counting on disappering instead of aruging and tried to run away.

But again, to me there's an easy resolve: apologise (like sorry M'am), show your credenentials, give her a contact number for the PM in the City and explain that any complaints or requests to not show footage should be directed to them. Give them a name and a contact No and your name and ID number. If that doesn't satistfy ask them to accompany you and take them to secutity officials. If there's no security officials tell her you'll wait while she calls the police.

Amazing how regular people kow-tow to a screaming woman in the streets. Might just be an Australian thing, might not be...

Amazing how regular people kow-tow to a screaming woman in the streets. Might just be an Australian thing, might not be...

Mob mentality mate, I could totally see it happening where I am. But Scots and Aussies are not to different!

But there's a step change going on. Probably the media (particularly film media) who seem ironically seem to always portray photographers as sinister, the back of the mind paranoia of social media, the mis-understanding of privacy laws etc means togs need to be aware and careful.

I can only assume that this is true. His face book page seems legit but who knows?

Pointing a camera even in the general direction, while filming something else, of children who are not your own seem to instill this sort of reaction in some people.

Not sure if it's an Australian thing or a "one off "overreaction that could happen anywhere?

Really tough to tell without being there but it sure sounds like he handled it wrong at the beginning. If I was shooting in a public area and someone accused me of being a “pervert” and filming their kids....I certainly wouldn’t pack up the camera and run away. No wonder the lady’s suspicions escalated with that reaction. Would it not make more sense to leave the camera out, explain what you were doing and even show her a few of your shots? Sure you have a right to keep your images private but it I can’t imagine he was shooting any top secret proprietary stuff for a client who wanted Christmas light pictures.

to me there's an easy resolve: apologise

I understand that this likely would have calmed the situation but he was wearing a media vest and any reasonable person should know he doesn't need to comply with the request (depending on regional laws).
As long as I'm in my legal right to take a shot. I'll defend my camera and my rights to the death if that's what it takes. Someones misplaced fear/outrage does not trump my RIGHT to shoot in public.

The real problem here is people are becoming their Facebook selves in real life. These people in the story should all go to jail for false imprisonment and assault. Even the screaming woman as she instigated the fight.

That would have been much worse if it were me. There would have been multiple ambulances there.

I've rarely shot credentialed but I've never been accosted when shooting "street." It's less cowardice than a reasonable ability to read and connect with people that's kept me out of the $hit.This tale struck me as bursting with apocrypha. Too much scene-setting and characterization of the sort I've seen trolled in forums for years, i.e., "I offended someone who surprisingly took offense and called the cops!" Really. If true, then the OP isn't likely getting steady assignments if they're that dense--which may in fact be the problem!

I have to believe there's more to the story. Even discounting differences in countries. As JC mentioned had that happened here there likely would have been ambulances needed, especially in the states that have "Stand your ground" laws and concealed carry permits laws on the books. Then again maybe knowledge of said laws is the reason we've not had similar incidents.

I have to believe there's more to the story. Even discounting differences in countries. As JC mentioned had that happened here there likely would have been ambulances needed, especially in the states that have "Stand your ground" laws and concealed carry permits laws on the books. Then again maybe knowledge of said laws is the reason we've not had similar incidents.
Remind me to never rile you and JC up lol.
Like all stories you only get the person posting the stories point of view and you can only assume it's a true.
I am not sure about"stand your ground laws" but Australia definitely doesn't have concealed or open carry laws. I think they all have to be locked up unless you are going to and from the range.
Unless you are a cop of course.

The aspect that bothers me the most is the Gov. level of surveillance and permission needed.
A quick check of credentials should have done the job, but alas i suppose that those who demand safety over freedom deserve neither.

Just say'n.

Remind me to never rile you and JC up lol.

DW is the one to worry about at my house she's a crack shot, with a slim sense of humor. I know when to run. LOL

I was shooting video while walking down a pedestrian street in Mexico last month. A busker yelled at me that I owed him a $1 for taking his photo. I yelled back it is video and kept walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back