The posting of links only

Fred Berg

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
People sometimes post links to their photos on to third-party sites, or post very small images that act as links to third-party sites. Could this practice be blocked? I have no problem with links to other sites, per se, but do think people should take the trouble to post a reasonable sized image on TPF if they wish to use this site to promote their work or request C&C.

Thanks.

Hi Fred - it's actually a guideline on TPF that anything "NSFW" get linked to, so we wouldn't block the practice for that reason. Also, there are times people post work that is not their own, as examples of or questions about technique, etc., and if they cannot name the photographer within their post, they must link to it off site. So again, we wouldn't block that practice.

If the linked work is simply too small, unfortunately it is on the viewer to make that comment to the OP. I do agree with you it can be maddening to try to offer C&C to images that aren't of a reasonable size, so this should be pointed out to those who do it. If no one will respond to their posts, they should take the hint about file size. :icon_wink:

also, with the new UI, when you upload a file directly to TPF, you have the option of having it post full size or as a thumbnail that you have to click on to get the full size image. if they are posting as a thumbnail, you are not actually going to a third party site, its just how the TPF site does it now. I always click on the full size image button for any pics i upload just so someone doesnt have to click a thumbnail to see the larger picture.

I've had issues uploading images to this forum, but have never had issues posting BBCode from flickr.

Hi Fred - it's actually a guideline on TPF that anything "NSFW" get linked to, so we wouldn't block the practice for that reason. Also, there are times people post work that is not their own, as examples of or questions about technique, etc., and if they cannot name the photographer within their post, they must link to it off site. So again, we wouldn't block that practice.

If the linked work is simply too small, unfortunately it is on the viewer to make that comment to the OP. I do agree with you it can be maddening to try to offer C&C to images that aren't of a reasonable size, so this should be pointed out to those who do it. If no one will respond to their posts, they should take the hint about file size. :icon_wink:
also, with the new UI, when you upload a file directly to TPF, you have the option of having it post full size or as a thumbnail that you have to click on to get the full size image. if they are posting as a thumbnail, you are not actually going to a third party site, its just how the TPF site does it now. I always click on the full size image button for any pics i upload just so someone doesnt have to click a thumbnail to see the larger picture.

I've had issues uploading images to this forum, but have never had issues posting BBCode from flickr.

Thanks for the answers. I realize that sometimes links are necessary because of ownership or other concerns, and as for using a third-party site to host your photos whilst posting them here, I think this is perfectly OK. I also use the thumbnail upload quite a bit and so realize the size is small unless clicked and then opened to view at original size.

No, my concern was only that some people place links to their FB or similar pages asking for feedback whilst making no effort to post anything on TPF itself. A bit irritating, but if other legitimate links would be blocked to prevent this, then it is something that is no real problem - I just wondered, that's all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back