What's new

The Raven

I can see why you wouldn't like it, but it speaks to me personally.

I suggest you stop listening because it's wrong.

There are a lot of people out there who do like strange post processed images. I, and clearly Traveler here, are not among them. But that doesn't mean that there isn't an audience for it. However, from what I've been able to gather, most of those who like this kind of things tend to like them in online medium only, meaning that if you plan or aspire to be professional I would seriously steer clear of these kinds of edits.

Acceptable edits like this would be sepia toning and converting to bw/greyscale imo, otherwise, its all just fun and internet worthy.
 
In every way and in every direction... no.
There is nothing about this shot that I can find that is either pleasing or photographically interesting.
 
In every way and in every direction... no.
There is nothing about this shot that I can find that is either pleasing or photographically interesting.

Did you feel any unease or discomfort when looking at the picture?
 
In every way and in every direction... no.
There is nothing about this shot that I can find that is either pleasing or photographically interesting.

Did you feel any unease or discomfort when looking at the picture?

Not really, no. Can't say as this one is really my cup of tea. I mean in the final analysis if you like it that's all that really matters. But for me it was just way too bright and sort of reminded me of one of those special effects shots from a 50-60's b movie.
 
In every way and in every direction... no.
There is nothing about this shot that I can find that is either pleasing or photographically interesting.

Did you feel any unease or discomfort when looking at the picture?

Nope. My sum total reaction was "Wow, I think he did almost everything he possibly could have done... wrong."
 
In every way and in every direction... no.
There is nothing about this shot that I can find that is either pleasing or photographically interesting.

Did you feel any unease or discomfort when looking at the picture?

Nope. My sum total reaction was "Wow, I think he did almost everything he possibly could have done... wrong."

That is interesting. Right now i am not at a place where i can see what you mean, because i really like what i have done here. I will put this on the shelf and come back to it at a time where i have had time to think about it. For me right now how i feel when i hear criticism is that, i am not really hearing how i can improve upon what i have done, there seems to be nobody really with any knowledge when it comes to unique edits, but there just seems to be a raw negation of "i just don't like it." Which is in of itself not an invalid criticism. I don't know, i'll think about it some more.
 
If an out-of-the-ordinary edit has no particular relationship to the content, then it is just beating up on a random picture with post-processing. I can't get any more information or emotion about what looks like an ordinary picture of some bird than the colors are wacky.
What more does this picture mean with this edit than it did before?
Why not any other picture?

You may have some connection with it that others don't - and some people might like it because it's 'different' or 'quirky' or 'novel' or 'coooool' but the effect seems to add no meaning and so it is empty to me and a really blatant attempt to add zest to an ordinary image with random processing - and too much of that.
 
^ that.
 
aJMXqJ.jpg
 
this is something that i would expect to see at a modern art museum
 
If an out-of-the-ordinary edit has no particular relationship to the content, then it is just beating up on a random picture with post-processing. I can't get any more information or emotion about what looks like an ordinary picture of some bird than the colors are wacky.
What more does this picture mean with this edit than it did before?
Why not any other picture?

You may have some connection with it that others don't - and some people might like it because it's 'different' or 'quirky' or 'novel' or 'coooool' but the effect seems to add no meaning and so it is empty to me and a really blatant attempt to add zest to an ordinary image with random processing - and too much of that.

Very clear and concise as always Lew, you've shown me the holes in my reasoning. To be clear, i knew what i wanted my picture to look like in post before i took the picture, i was just unable to take it because i didn't have the gear/software nor the chance up until recently. The main problem here is that i am just a poor story teller, because i have failed in putting into context what i want the view to feel. I'll go to the local castle where they can be usually found and take it again armed with this knowledge.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom