The Red Bicycle

Guillermo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
BicycleFIN5.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of blends into the background. Its a nice shot technically, you did a good job of editing and exposure, but I think I would have picked a less distracting background and maybe not centered the subject. Keep workin at it.

The background to me is too busy and distracting

But of course I will to keep workin at it...but it is sad that I have failed. It is to be the famous critique I see much - it is "distracting" to have something in back. Maybe I will move the bicycle but then what to do when the policia is to get me! And to be in the center is to break the famous "rule", yes? This is also sad because I like to break the rules. Not too much but a little. It is fun, no?

Still it is very kind to make your comments. To make critique like this you are expert photographers (no?) and it is good that you give this time to me.

I am back! To add this comment for I think maybe I didn't fail.

The couple is so intently interested in what the lawyer/real estate/? man has to say - something important maybe. The two women out for a meal to exchange friendly gossip when there is a call - who could it be? Then there is the mystery of the waiter examining two freshly poured and served beers with no patrons in sight...

...and the red bicycle placed prominently in the middle of this scene (centered to break the famous rule!). Who's is it? Why is it right there and not put away somewhere? Were they in a rush?

Critics might say the background is too distracting. But I say it is good this distraction, yes? This is a "street" shot, no? Anyway it is my picture and I still like it so it is a success, yes?

Last edited:
I don't think you failed. And I'm not an expert, but here's my opinion. I don't mind the background, it is busy, but I like busy things, and as you said, it is interesting anyway. I will have to say that in this particular instance I don't particularly like your break of the 1/3rds rule though. Since its centered, you're sort of saying that you want the primary focus of the picture to be the bicycle, your eyes are drawn to it very strongly, but in my opinion, the more interesting thing is the background, so if the bicycle is off to the side, it is only one interesting piece of the whole, not the focal point.

I don't think you failed. And I'm not an expert, but here's my opinion. I don't mind the background, it is busy, but I like busy things, and as you said, it is interesting anyway. I will have to say that in this particular instance I don't particularly like your break of the 1/3rds rule though. Since its centered, you're sort of saying that you want the primary focus of the picture to be the bicycle, your eyes are drawn to it very strongly, but in my opinion, the more interesting thing is the background, so if the bicycle is off to the side, it is only one interesting piece of the whole, not the focal point.

Thank you Eldrich. I have broken this rule! This is good, yes?

If you want this to be a shot about the bicycle, then yes, it is good to break the rule. If you'd rather people concentrate on the background when they look at the pic, then I'd say putting the bike off center would have helped. All depends on what you want the photo to do.

Guillermo,

Nice shot. It might be a touch tilted to the right, but other than that, what good would any criticism do other than cause you a controversy?

It appears as if you are at a point where web criticism may do you more harm than good. Continue to develop your own tastes and technique, express yourself and share your work. Develop your judgement.

Then again, maybe you got lucky? Keep posting.

I'm one who LIKES this photo! Just as it is. Street photo WITH bicycle. Predominant colours: black/greys and red. Very nicely seen. I like how the bicycle is between blending and and sticking out (light reflections on the silver-coloured parts), and that so much in the background is red, too. If this were not the case, the background would be REALLY busy (too busy!), but with the colour accordance it works nicely.

Thanks for pointing out all the little interesting "life stories" you detected in your own photo, I followed your descriptions and saw all that and am enjoying what I see. :D
And then SOMEONE came to that restaurant by BIKE, where people sit in seemingly formal clothing (well, many are dressed in black clothes), and there must be one who arrived by bike. More questions: who is it? A guest, a waiter, someone in the kitchen?

In short: I like it! :D

NICE! The picture got some kind of classic feeling to it. LOVE IT!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back