The right beginner telephoto lens for my D3100

I am head-over-heels in love with the Sigma 150-600. I had a Nikon 55-300, and the Sigma make me realize how poor a lens choice the 55-300 really was (and I think I have a bad copy). I just replaced the 55-300 with the Nikon AF-S 70-300 VR so I had a decent telephoto that was much easier to lug around when I didn't need something so big like the Sigma 150-600.

I never been a big fan the 55-300 VR. From all the images I've seen, the image quality seems to be pretty soft compared to say a 70-300 VR.

Seriously, check out this thread > Is something wrong with my lens?

Get the 70-300 VR or heck even the 55-200 VR has better IQ than the 55-300 in my opinion.

Thanks for all the replies. I conferred with Dad and he doesn't want to spend big bucks and I can't afford to at the moment either. It was either the 55-300 or nothing... Can't have it all!
I will take all your suggestions under advisement when I take the plunge myself.

Thanks again!

Are we talking buying new or used/refurbished?

the 55-300 is not worth the price tag new. It is a very slow clumsy lens designed for shooters that want to impress their unknowing friends by the 300mm number stamped on the side of the lens.

It has the slowest autofocus of any lens I've ever used. Quite possible it's easier to manually focus a lens and keep up faster than that thing. It hunts and misses quite often. When it does acquire focus, the image quality isn't bad.

The biggest pro that lens has is the close-focusing ability. Something that shouldn't necessarily be the biggest pro for a long telephoto lens....

This is coming from someone who has shot the 55-200 VR, 55-300 VR, and 70-300 VR.

I would urge you to find a used copy of the Tamron 70-300 VC, like this one down the street from me:
Used Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 SP Di VC USD Lens for Nikon AFA005NII700 - District Camera and Imaging

This lens can be found for a fair price and is better than the Nikon counterpart. If you're looking for a lens without stabilization--for some crazy reason--I'd still go with the Tamron copy over Nikon's.

Last edited:
Buying new. I looked around second hand, there are not many that say for Nikon (I am in Australia). I just looked again after reading your post and a new Tamron lens said for Canon, Nikon and Sony. Does not give the option, it just suggests it suits all. Does the one lens fit multiple brands? Could you clarify (if you know)? All the people that are advertising it as "suits Canon" or "suits Nikon". Are they missing the fact that it can fit other cameras? So you think a second hand Tamron is worth more than the new Nikkor?

Tamron makes the same lens in different mounts.

That is what most of my searching is suggesting. Weird way this company is advertising it! All the 2nd hand ones have dust in them or marks on the glass... Scaring me! And people usually oversell, not undersell!

That is what most of my searching is suggesting. Weird way this company is advertising it! All the 2nd hand ones have dust in them or marks on the glass... Scaring me! And people usually oversell, not undersell!
All used lens have dust in them. The important question is does it affect image quality.

Also it's been my experience when it comes to lenses and ebay, most people undersell. Myself included.

People are very, very fussy about camera equipment. I try hard to describe ever mark, nick and blemish I can find even though it has no impact on the functionality of the lens. That way my buyer is happy instead of disappointed and I don't get bad feedback.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

All used lens have dust in them. The important question is does it affect image quality.

Also it's been my experience when it comes to lenses and ebay, most people undersell. Myself included.

People are very, very fussy about camera equipment. I try hard to describe ever mark, nick and blemish I can find even though it has no impact on the functionality of the lens. That way my buyer is happy instead of disappointed and I don't get bad feedback.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

I hear you. I mean my goodness, I have to make sure there is NO smudges or anything on lenses. The few used lenses I have purchased had smudges, dust etc still on the lens, they didn't even care to clean it. Did that bother me? Nope.

But you are right, people on eBay especially are very fussy about camera equipment and some will even try to get a partial refund if there is ANYTHING that you didn't either see or forgot to describe. Sad world we live in.

I had someone on ebay return a $3 tee shirt because they said it smelled like armpits (it had never been worn ever).

All the used scariness has been averted... My dad found out it was full frame and said he wanted that all along. Just in case he ever upgrades his camera. Thanks for the posts everyone :)

Haha poor returned T. Maybe you spilled some cumin on it (the spice!)? Haha

the 55-300 is a crop sensor lens only.

I didn't think dad would upgrade camera's ever. But better safe than sorry... And just another reason added to the list. Anyway, convinced... Dad is forking out the extra cash :)

I'm confused. What lens are you getting?

I hear you. I mean my goodness, I have to make sure there is NO smudges or anything on lenses. The few used lenses I have purchased had smudges, dust etc still on the lens, they didn't even care to clean it. Did that bother me? Nope.

But you are right, people on eBay especially are very fussy about camera equipment and some will even try to get a partial refund if there is ANYTHING that you didn't either see or forgot to describe. Sad world we live in.

Very true. I don't sell a ton on Ebay, I usually try locally first, then places like TPF, Ebay is usually my last port of call. I've never gotten bad feedback or had any problems on Ebay, but then again I'm always very careful about that sort of thing and make sure when I'm selling something all of the negatives are clearly listed.

However with both Ebay and Paypal fees I'm usually better of monetarily if I can sell through another source. It's not a huge difference but it does add up.

Speaking of which I need to get that Sigma 70-200 2.8 put up for sale. It's been a great lens but not much use for it since I got the Nikkor to replace it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back