The Road to Wildlfowers 2

David_Senesac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.davidsenesac.com
poppy_road_w.jpg

Hello Folks, this is my first post here on TPF. I'm a long time California landscape photographer, computer, and net user. My main weapon is a 4x5 loaded with Provia shells. I also have a 7mpCoolpix 7900 peashooter that took the above pic. After a recent 5-day spring wildflower road trip, I created an html story of the trip with embedded images. Also at the top of that story page is a sub-link to an automated slide show. If you would like to slow down, run manually, or select any of several other options, at anytime select the Stop field then Help field.

On my web site web page:

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Select the "Spring 2006 Wildflower Photography Trip...Life in the Field" for a little window into my world. Looking forward to contributing my 2-cents onto some of the rest of this community's threads. ...David

Welcome, David!
I really like the brilliant colors on that pic. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

This photo with its complementary colours is very enticing and may well make me go to check out your entire site and enjoy the slideshow there!

A question about these flowers here: do they only come out at a special point in time and do they stay for a short time only? Is this a special moment?

LaFoto said:
This photo with its complementary colours is very enticing and may well make me go to check out your entire site and enjoy the slideshow there!

A question about these flowers here: do they only come out at a special point in time and do they stay for a short time only? Is this a special moment?

Hello LaFoto,

Spring is the time of wildflowers in temperate regions all over the world and I'm sure the same is true in the UK. However in the dry arid American Southwest, it is a more narrow event just like other arid areas around the globe. Wildflowers in such places tend to only put on spectacular displays infrequently after particularly wet rainy seasons. There are also climate facets during rainy seasons that also affect such blooms. Average or below normal seasons pale considerably in comparison. Blooms during spectacular seasons tend to be short lived events of a matter of weeks with each specific flower species having their own time of peaking. Thus during some wet seasons, a number of species may bloom in sync while in others due to timings of rains and especially cold periods, some species may have peak blooms before or after other species or may not appear in numbers at all.

There are a number of local internet sources where photography and wildflower enthusiasts discuss where blooms are during the spring each year. If one has time flexibility, is tuned into the internet buzz of what is happening, and is savvy enough with topographic maps to take the often meager location information provided and use it, a person unfamilliar with the region could do well. However even at a modest level of planning anyone can visit places like the famous Antelope Valley State Poppy Reserve without much effort. ...David

Thank you so much for your reply, David, I appreciate that!
And yes, I thought this might be one of the more arid regions where the abundance of flowers is rare and short-lived... and their intensity and beauty therefore even more pronounced to entice the insects to come.

I've been to your site and seen the slideshow and am very, very impressed. Do make sure you link other individual pics to the forum directly for some replies, will you? I really like your work!

LaFoto said:
Thank you so much for your reply, David, I appreciate that!
And yes, I thought this might be one of the more arid regions where the abundance of flowers is rare and short-lived... and their intensity and beauty therefore even more pronounced to entice the insects to come.

I've been to your site and seen the slideshow and am very, very impressed. Do make sure you link other individual pics to the forum directly for some replies, will you? I really like your work!

Thanks LaFota your comments are heartfully appreciated. One of those images I recently had Tango scanned and processed for a 30x38 inch Lightjet5k print is this landscape of creosote bushes amid California poppies. The striking thing during composition was the way the poppies seemed to create an alive swirling foreground for my eyes. ..David

06-p10-1.jpg

The following is a 7.5 inch crop from center foreground on the above 30x38 inch Lightjet print file. It was downsized by 1/3 in order to display at typical 96 dpi Windows screen size at about the same size at it will appear on the full print. Thus gives some sense of the larger print resolution. ...David

cr1.jpg

beautiful shots, I love wildflower season, although we didn't get very many around here this year... oh well maybe next year... :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back