What's new

The Sea at low light.

Rachelsne

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 24, 2008
Messages
1,137
Reaction score
0
Location
Yorktown, VA, USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Havent posted a picture in a while so here are two :) I took them when I was doing a some portraiture practice, as the light got very dim I thought I would have a go with some waves and rocks. The beach fasces east so sun set was behind me. Just before Sunset, facing east using a tripod.

Its nearly rule of thirds :) I really wanted the wave more off center but doing that meant the pole looked out of place, and as the pole is more dominant I left it. What do you think of the sky on this picture? I ended up using the clouds filter and gausin blur and a curves adjustment as the sky looked flat and un apealing, does it look natural still?

2613050821_4153df536d_o.jpg


Exif: Shutter speed 1.0 sec
Exposure Program Manual
F-Stop F/22
ISO 100
Canon 30d Canon 50mm 1.8


Ok now this picture I played around with a long border that is a normal printing ratio as the way I cropped the picture is not normal, what do you normally do if you end up cropping strangley?

2613807714_8fc02778bf_o.jpg


0.5 sec
Exposure: manual
F/stop: f/20
ISO 100
Canon 30d with Canon 50mm 1.8
 
Oh one thing you might try- since they appear hazy (though it could be an artistic decision..) is to just do a simple S shape in a curves level. To break the haze.. but totally up to you as the artist of course :)
 
dang nice piktures...

very nice!!!
 
Ill have to see what it looks like without the haze. I am still learning about curves and but an s curve-i can probably work that one :)

There has been a forest fire which has been burning for about a month on the north carolina / virginia border, even though its 60 miles away we are always seeming to get the smoke warnings -also the humidity doesnt help with the haze either :)
 
those are fantastic!!!
great job!
 
I thought the first one was a painting when I first saw it. I think you went with a perfect shutter speed for that photo. I really like how you cropped the second one also! Very nice!
 
I find the first image extremely beautiful, with the light just right and the soft colours and smooth waves giving the capture a dreamy feel. I think the pole adds interest to the photo, much like the unidentifiable thing that can be seen far away on the horizon. (By the way, the horizon seems a tad tilted to the left, but I might be wrong.) Finally, my personal preference would be to chop the bottom 5-10%, as the reflections in the sand distract from the real subject here.
 
both very nice images....agree with Kelly a slight tweak in curves would introduce more contrast....and the first does indeed tilt slightly to the left.
 
love that second one. borders can really add to a shot, as is especially the case here
 
nice nice nice - great shots - now i have to go to the beach :D
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom