The spiny barbs of winter.

Tony S

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Heavy freezing fog overnight left some really interesting visuals in the yard when I got home from work this morning and the sun popped out. Here are a few of my "barbed" wire series of the frosted fencing before I got frozen fingers and went in for some hot chocolate. I am also trying out some B&W conversions of some of these to post later.
It's foggy again tonight and it's already freezing out so I may have the chance to play again in the morning... unless I sleep in.

1. Winter's Icy Jaws...
405350079.jpg

2. Spiked junction...
405350076.jpg

3. Wired Crystals...
405350072.jpg

4. Winter's picture frame...
405350074.jpg

Wow, what a cool effect! We had freezing fog here last night and this morning as well, but it didn't form anything like THAT!
I think I like the second one the best.

If you get a second chance at it tomorrow, I think I'd really like to see one similar to the second shot, but an "X" instead, where each end of the X comes in at an edge of the photo.

I love when fog freezes. :)
I think that these are pretty cool.. the one thing though that you might want to experiment a little with besides the B&W is shooting the fencing from different angles instead of the perpendicular you have now. These almost coincide with the rule of thirds frame... and I think that makes them kind of hum drum. If it was not for the exciting ice formation on the fencing these would almost be boring. Right now I do like them. The first one is I think the best. Try cropping in tighter maybe.. or even some macros :)

Thanks everyone so far for the fast comments.

Nikmal, shooting these up close at an angle will be a tough assignment. Using the macro lens at the minimal focus distance is not going to give much dof, in a few of these it took f32 just to get the crystal shapes all in focus which was one reason they were all shot on the same plane (composing to the rule of thirds was done on purpose), but if we get frost in the morning I will try and see what happens.

Not much room when you throw out the numbers....

Subject distance
12 in
Depth of field
Near limit
11.8 in
Far limit
12.2 in
Total
0.36 in
In front of subject
0.18 in (49%)
Behind subject
0.18 in (51%)

Nice! Like the focus and bokeh.

A couple of non-fence ones... Thinking back on it now, some of these may be a good chance to try some focus stacking if it's still out with nothing moving if I try again.

405350056.jpg

405350053.jpg

405350050.jpg

Those are really cool. I especially like the holly tree.

Wow! I've never seen frost do that before.
The fence is cool, but I like the plants even better.

Great work. The icy crystals add to the constraining feel of the fence. I also like the colors of red, green and white in #2 of your second grouping of photos.

Most reactions

Back