The Staggering Collapse of the Camera Market

Yes yes, doom, gloom.. DSLR's are dead despite all the billions that are still being made by the companies that make them.

Yawn.

whilst talking about DSLRs they throw in the doom and gloom statistics of Point & Shoots a few times
"The camera market is already reeling from a six-year dive in demand for consumer point-and-shoots as smartphone cameras rapidly improved."
"Sales for compact point and shoot cameras have collapsed to an estimated 13 million in 2016 from a peak of 121.5 million in 2010"
"There’s a big perception that this (cell phones) is a step above a point and shoot,”

yeah, I agree. P&S cameras are close to death. I gave mine up years ago for my cell phone.

Sky-is-falling-news-headline.jpg

To repeat what has been said elsewhere, whats going on:
- Smartphones are killing compact cameras.
- Global recession affects the photography market, leading to reduced demand for system cameras as well.
- DSLRs have reached a certain level from which there is not much more progress possible; there is simply not that much need to upgrade if you have for example a Nikon D700 (2008) or a Canon 5D Mark II (2008) and are not interested in gimmicks like video recording.
- Mirrorless probably just did the same with the release of the Fuji X-T2. There isnt much left to improve in that camera, though Fuji obviously has still a lot to do in the lens department of that system.

Came across this article a few minutes ago. Nothing really new to say, but a rehash of what is already obvious.
The staggering collapse of the camera market
As you say, nothing new about this but the Apple 7? Really, that phone is still trying to catch up to a 2 year old Samsung Galaxy s5 and the HTC one m8.
It does outdo those other phones on price though, you can get the 12mpix Apple for 3 times the cost of the 16mpix Samsung. lol

I am reluctant to upgrade my 5D MkIII. I'm happy with it just as is.

I'm hoping Nikons new mirrorless can use the same lenses as the DSLR uses. Hopefully before the iPhone 8 renders all cameras obsolete.
:)

Dude, you didn't get the memo? The iPhone 7s will render all other cameras obsolete. The iPhone 8 brings us world peace and the 8s solves world hunger.

The thing I dont get is why camera manufacturers dont learn from camera - phones.

Think of a DSLR with built in Operating system that supports 4G / Wi-Fi / 500px / Instagram / snapchat / facebook etc.

Why not??

The thing I dont get is why camera manufacturers dont learn from camera - phones.

Think of a DSLR with built in Operating system that supports 4G / Wi-Fi / 500px / Instagram / snapchat / facebook etc.

Why not??
I forgot who it was that had a camera (more P&S type) that had the android OS and Wifi. I can't recall if it had cell capability.

But you would think SONY, who has tried making cell phones, would integrate it.

For me that's the next big step in removing that extra step to get from camera, to cell phone to social media.

Most reactions

Back