What's new

The Threats

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
May 17, 2011
Messages
9,504
Reaction score
2,004
Location
Montana
CC Welcome:

7250863034_5596773eff_b.jpg
 
Are you really expecting people to give good feedback on this? What was the intention? Anything in particular? Because the photo itself (without any explanation) is boring, uninteresting, poor lit and basically one I'd delete right in the camera and completely forget about it jaja
Please don't take it the wrong way, I just don't understand what you're expecting here...
 
For me, it's about the world which we live in, not the one we wish we did: one of compositional conventions, perpetual 'golden hour light'. It's about decay, opinions wanting to be heard, leaving a mark, differing messages by different people. Who left them, what were they thinking and why. It's about the people who came before us, and the people who came after. The attempts we make to cover up these inconveniences with white-wash paint.
 
I think I see what you are trying to show, but it is just difficult to see the writing on the wall.

The photo has made me stop to think. But I wish I could see better what has been covered up.
 
For me, it's about the world which we live in, not the one we wish we did: one of compositional conventions, perpetual 'golden hour light'. It's about decay, opinions wanting to be heard, leaving a mark, differing messages by different people. Who left them, what were they thinking and why. It's about the people who came before us, and the people who came after. The attempts we make to cover up these inconveniences with white-wash paint.

You could do all that and also try to find better compositions and lightning. In this case, it seems your subject's supposed to be the writing on the wall, so if that's the case, then the door handle and lock are distracting the viewer's attention from your subject and the writing is not clear... Maybe it's my monitor or my eyes, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what it says... Also, the exposure seems like you took it with a point-and-shot using on-camera flash...

Finally, you can try breaking the rules... We all do that all the time... But these are not some guidelines a bunch of people thought looked nice... The study of proportions, perspectives, colors, etc etc... are constantly playing with how we see with our eyes and how our brain works to process this information... And the 'golden hour light' is pretty much the same... Photography is all about light, so it's kind of a big deal to use the best light you can find for you picture...
 
Last edited:
I think the lock has something to say to the door handle.
 
I llike the title and the concept ;)
 
First of all. I really do appreciate your feedback, and I don't want to scare you off or anything. While, I disagree with much you are saying on both process and philosophic levels, please understand that I value your input and feel a healthy debate benefits everyone. So please don't get upset by my reply.

You could do all that and also try to find better compositions and lightning. In this case, it seems your subject's supposed to be the writing on the wall, so if that's the case, then the door handle and lock are distracting the viewer's attention

What would be more interesting? A snapshot of some writing on the wall, or writing on the wall with context about where it is and the space which it is found. At first glance, this appears to be taken in a small room behind a possibly locked door, the fact that it is a door heavy gives the viewer a sense of intimacy, if not claustrophobia.

from your subject and the writing is not clear... Maybe it's my monitor or my eyes, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what it says...

The writing on the white wall is obstructed, and that is one of the more interesting points for me. Viewing more carefully, you'll read "socialist democrat" quote clearly. Why was this politically motivated vandalism so quickly to be painted over, while the more typical graffiti left? Is it older? Did they run out of brown paint?

The words, even though both barely legible can clearly indicate what kind of stereotypical person left them; what does this say about ourselves and our prejudices?

Also, the exposure seems like you took it with a point-and-shot using on-camera flash...

The flash was not fired.

Finally, you can try breaking the rules... We all do that all the time... But these are not some guidelines a bunch of people thought looked nice... The study of proportions, perspectives, colors, etc etc... are constantly playing with how we see with our eyes and how our brain works to process this information... And the 'golden hour light' is pretty much the same... Photography is all about light, so it's kind of a big deal to use the best light you can find for you picture...

This is not intended to be a comfortable or attractive image. It's about how we try to ignore each other while still reaching out to touch one another. It's about the discomfort we feel by one another and knowing that someone was there before us, they they leave a mark, that we'll leave a mark and after we leave someone else will leave a mark. There is conflict, it's meant to be there. Why would I choose a harmonic composition to convey a conflict? Why would I bring in studio lighting and cast pretty feathered shadows?

Photography is all about light in the most elemental sense of the cliche. But what light you use will convey a different message.

--

It's fine you don't like it though, I'm not trying to convert you or anything.
 
I think the lock has something to say to the door handle.

I think it's saying 'i'm broken'. Which makes peeing all the more exciting!

I llike the title and the concept ;)

Thanks trever. As you know, my stuff is not very well received. It's good to hear something positive, even if you fall short of liking the image :)
 
I think the lock has something to say to the door handle.

I think it's saying 'i'm broken'. Which makes peeing all the more exciting!

That's why I never lock the door. :drool:

:lol:

Seriously, though, I like the photo. It may appear stark at first, but it's hard to look away. It grabs me and begs me to strain my eyes to read what's been poorly painted-over. Those surfaces bear so many questions and so much drama. It looks like it's a bathroom, but is it really? And those hand prints add an almost spooky element. Deceptively great stuff.
 
This is an image that the viewer has to take a few minutes to look at to understand, which makes it much more interesting than many others.
I like it quite a bit, thanks for posting it!
 
The writing on the white wall is obstructed, and that is one of the more interesting points for me. Viewing more carefully, you'll read "socialist democrat" quote clearly.

Viewing even MORE carefully, you'll read "Montana's Communist Democrats" quote clearly. :sexywink:
 
Photo does nothing to me. My ex's facebook wall is more interesting.
 
I see what you're saying, but there is a disconnect between the message you intend to convey and the photographic implementation of that message. There is friction created by the compositional elements, and not good friction.

With that being said, I do see a shot here. The shot doesn't include the door. The door does nothing. The image I see here is a well exposed and treated shot of the painted wall with the hand print-- one that brings out the textures of the wall and paint. To me it would be far more visually interesting.
 
I found myself examining the door handle and lock more than the writing. Looking for signs of forced entry that sort of thing. First glance, boring door. When i tried to see the message or intent...it was a struggle, not that of absent minded babble, but there is just not enough "threat" in this particular shot as intended. I don't mind having to "look for" things in a picture to make it all work...but to me, you have to look too hard which causes loss of interest.

my 2 cents.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom