What's new

The Threats

Well! I hadn't noticed the writing on the wall, and I mean that both figuratively and litterally. Obviously your image invoked emotion so much so that half the posting members didn't even realize it, well done!!!

Sorry for not looking closer originally :)
 
Bitter Jeweler said:
Because republicans are the REAL threat!

And this is where it gets real dangerous! ;)
 
A Face Has brought Thousand Warships!!!
;)

i read all the arguments above and cleansed myself out of that to say my original opinion; i liked this image; i like the way in which light fell on the subject; i like the duality of the handle-which helps one to open- and the latch -which helps to close; two opposing aspects of life ...and the same is reflected by the dark half and the bright half of this image; i could not find any writing on the walls and doors even after scrutiny and i have no concern or opinion regarding that....

And i hold that i should not say those words which i don't like others telling me

Regards :D
 
I dig it. The contrast of door and wall, and that handprint is an interesting element.

I can only imagine what those walls have seen.
 
Jon Tester
Max Bacous

Both Montana communist democrats.

Interesting! I googled both of them, and they are in fact Democratic Senators from Montana. Obviously the writer did not agree with their politics.

Because republicans are the REAL threat!

I'd respectfully disagree. The real threat to our society is when we start assuming that our cherished formulas (political or otherwise) are the only way to look at the world. Power comes from unity, and unity is not about thinking all alike, but being able to work together to find a way forward that respects most (kinda hard to get "all") viewpoints. The ability to listen carefully, and understand another person's viewpoint and opinion, even if you don't agree with it, is a skill that we need to develop and encourage. The characteristics of humility, patience, respect, and a willingness to admit that perhaps we don't have all the answers, will go a long way to reducing polarization and perhaps create a common area where we can work together. Certainly, there is comfort in surrounding oneself with people (and media) who mirror one's ideas, but in the long run that comfort prevents adaptation to changinge environments and circumstances. OK, I'm getting a nosebleed, and I'll get off the soapbox.
 
Ill chime in and say I dont like it. I think the idea was decent but it was poorly executed. Not enough focus on the covered up graffitti which I couldnt even see on my work monitor due to contrast. If you want someone to stop and look deeper into an image I think it needs to have a hook, something to grab you and keep you around long enough to notice all of its subtleties of light / subject / whatever. This one doesnt. I think a lot of people will try to overlook that and say its artistic, but in my mind thats just poor implimentation of vision.

I like Galen Rowells take on it, a great image needs vision, technical excellence, and good light. For this shot you had vision, but i think the technical implamentaion was off for some reason.
 
Interesting! I googled both of them, and they are in fact Democratic Senators from Montana. Obviously the writer did not agree with their politics.

Because republicans are the REAL threat!

I'd respectfully disagree. The real threat to our society is when we start assuming that our cherished formulas (political or otherwise) are the only way to look at the world. Power comes from unity, and unity is not about thinking all alike, but being able to work together to find a way forward that respects most (kinda hard to get "all") viewpoints. The ability to listen carefully, and understand another person's viewpoint and opinion, even if you don't agree with it, is a skill that we need to develop and encourage. The characteristics of humility, patience, respect, and a willingness to admit that perhaps we don't have all the answers, will go a long way to reducing polarization and perhaps create a common area where we can work together. Certainly, there is comfort in surrounding oneself with people (and media) who mirror one's ideas, but in the long run that comfort prevents adaptation to changinge environments and circumstances. OK, I'm getting a nosebleed, and I'll get off the soapbox.

It was a joke, for the most part.

I believe both parties are doing a fine job.
A fine job of dividing the country.
Media showcases and sensationalizes the extremists. Moderates seem silent.
Extremists motivate people. For the wrong reasons.

This country will never experience unity. Ever.

We aren't allowed to talk politics here, so we should leave it at that.
Our views are probably very similar.

Mr. Pgriz, feel free to respond to me in PM.
 
interesting how this thread turned out. The thing is with this picture for me is that, it doesnt catch my eye. What i mean is, the subject of the picture is hidden. Its so hidden that you actually have to stop, stare, tilt your screen, change the brightness and squint to understand whats going on. I feel like something needs to pop to catch the attention of the viewer. Something that will make it easier to understand the picture and your concept, which is a really great one by the way, but if you hadnt explained i wouldnt have understood.
 
For me, it's about the world which we live in, not the one we wish we did: one of compositional conventions, perpetual 'golden hour light'. It's about decay, opinions wanting to be heard, leaving a mark, differing messages by different people. Who left them, what were they thinking and why. It's about the people who came before us, and the people who came after. The attempts we make to cover up these inconveniences with white-wash paint.

Mind = BLOWN!

At first, I thought wtf is this? Then I read your post, looked at it again, and my brain exploded. Very cool.
 
What precisely the grafitti says to me is not important, and is not even terribly interesting. What is interesting to me is that this mostly white, upper middle class audience almost seems to find the 'gang-style' grafitti almost invisible, despite that it's more clearly represented. As I stated earlier, this image may also say something about our impressions of who left the grafitti on the door, verses who left the grafitti on the wall, their motives and their values.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom