The view over Manhattan

ernie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cyberliquid.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken from top of Rockefeller Center ...

170-ny.jpg

184-ny.jpg

178-ny.jpg

oh wow, awesome shots. I really like the B&W one, dont know why, but it just looks cool.
Whats that light in next to the big tower in the last pic? a plane or something?

Wow, excellent shots!

I really like #2

The colour shots are very professional and have give slightly different perspective to others I've seen of this much photographed scene.

The B&W shot is stunning and very original!

Nicely done ernie. The exposure looks spot on here and there's plenty for the eye to take in from the tallest building right down to street level.

Awesome, what were your settings?

thanks for all the comments everyone.

oh wow, awesome shots. I really like the B&W one, dont know why, but it just looks cool.
Whats that light in next to the big tower in the last pic? a plane or something?
thanks. yeah i think it's a plane. doesn't seem to have moved all that much during the whole exposure though (20 secs).

bigalbest said:
Wow, I am going to New York for the first time in a couple weeks and I already have a reservation at top of the Rock. I hope I can take some shots like these, great job.
thing is you can't set up a tripod up there. the guy selling the tickets saw my camera and tripod, told me it's great up there for taking pictures and blah blah. told me nothing about the restrictions on tripods. so i bought the ticket and when i get up there, there are security dudes everywhere telling photographers they can't set up tripods. "that's our policy". assholes. managed to make these by putting my camera on the big ledges on the side. so if you're creative you can get some good shots, but if you have one i'd bring one of those mini tripods since those are allowed.

Cal said:
Awesome, what were your settings?
ISO 100, aperture between f16 and f20, shutter between 20 and 30 seconds.

thanks for all the comments everyone.

thanks. yeah i think it's a plane. doesn't seem to have moved all that much during the whole exposure though (20 secs).

thing is you can't set up a tripod up there. the guy selling the tickets saw my camera and tripod, told me it's great up there for taking pictures and blah blah. told me nothing about the restrictions on tripods. so i bought the ticket and when i get up there, there are security dudes everywhere telling photographers they can't set up tripods. "that's our policy". assholes. managed to make these by putting my camera on the big ledges on the side. so if you're creative you can get some good shots, but if you have one i'd bring one of those mini tripods since those are allowed.

ISO 100, aperture between f16 and f20, shutter between 20 and 30 seconds.

Dude, thanks so much for the tip I wondered what I could bring with me and it says nothing about this on their website. I am honestly thinking of canceling now and trying another location. Do you have any suggestions?

not really, if you want to be high up in manhattan it's either rockefeller center or empire state. and empire state is even worse cause it's full of tourists all the time, people crowding to get a good view. and no tripods either. on top of the rock you at least get some space. and like i said, you can use the ledges to place your camera on. so it's not all that bad.

if you want something else you can maybe try to get into an office building or something? or get an expensive hotelroom with view of the city somewhere high up :)

Wow, those shots look fantastic. I never knew light pollution could be so photogenic :D.

Shame about the tripod problems, I bet you'd have been allowed via bribes ;-).

very, very nice!

not really, if you want to be high up in manhattan it's either rockefeller center or empire state. and empire state is even worse cause it's full of tourists all the time, people crowding to get a good view. and no tripods either. on top of the rock you at least get some space. and like i said, you can use the ledges to place your camera on. so it's not all that bad.

if you want something else you can maybe try to get into an office building or something? or get an expensive hotelroom with view of the city somewhere high up :)

Well I guess I'll just make the best of it with no tripod. Thanks for the tips really good information here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back