The Web!

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was in the garden for a few minutes this afternoon and have a few macro shots. Thought you'd like to see...

First I found this spider (not sure of the brand) but he was waving his legs about and so I took the photo. only after I noticed he was sorting some web out...you can see a bundle of threads below his front legs:

6250350650_16158a0868_o.jpg

Then he moved off and I found him later on the wall. He was still waving a bit, so i did a burst of 6 shots and made this GIF:

6250026030_af9bba5881_o.gif

Also in the garden was this spider. i think it's an Orb Web spider, but not sure. This is the underside...

6250245720_3c184392c8_o.jpg

Hope you like. :)

Very interesting. The spider in #1 and #2 should be a wolf spider judging from the eye arrangements. Not sure what species though. Curiously, I saw (and took a picture of) a jumping spider doing what looks like the same thing yesterday. I don't know what the spiders are trying to do!

#3 is definitely an orb weaver. My guess would be a cross orb.

What are the backgrounds in #1 and #3?

Very interesting. The spider in #1 and #2 should be a wolf spider judging from the eye arrangements. Not sure what species though. Curiously, I saw (and took a picture of) a jumping spider doing what looks like the same thing yesterday. I don't know what the spiders are trying to do!

#3 is definitely an orb weaver. My guess would be a cross orb.

What are the backgrounds in #1 and #3?

Yes, wolf spider sounds reasonable...i thought at first it was a jumping spider with the way it moved, but then upon closer inspection it isn't. Besides, I have only seen zebra jumpers around our house. I wondered if he was tensioning the web, or something...do wolf spiders DO webs?

The backgrounds are actually the wall of the house...had some bright sun, and used a 50mm 1.8 on a couple of macro tubes, so got very soft bokeh. in fact, the GIF is shot on the brick, so you can see how bright it was, with the sun on it. Flash was used on the wolf spider, but not on the Orb Weaver.

Thanks.

Neither wolf spiders nor jumpers actually build webs, though they do use silk for various purposes. They often drag a line behind them as they go in case they fall or something. That spider almost looks like it's pulling silk out of the air though, which is what the jumper was doing as well. Baby wolf spiders do try to catch the wind with a silk strand in hopes of flying away when they're ready to disperse. Was it very small?

I almost thought the backgrounds were edited in when I first saw them. :D They looked so smooth. Nice.

Neither wolf spiders nor jumpers actually build webs, though they do use silk for various purposes. They often drag a line behind them as they go in case they fall or something. That spider almost looks like it's pulling silk out of the air though, which is what the jumper was doing as well. Baby wolf spiders do try to catch the wind with a silk strand in hopes of flying away when they're ready to disperse. Was it very small?

I almost thought the backgrounds were edited in when I first saw them. :D They looked so smooth. Nice.

The wolf spider was about 8-9mm long...pretty small, which is why thought it might be a jumper...not much bigger than the zebra jumpers we have around the house.

No editing of the backgrounds, although I do obviously PP the images and the backgrounds may have been adjusted with curves and so on...:)

Hmm, wolf spiders range in size quite a bit, so that may or may not be an adult. I think it's too big to be going silk sailing though. I really don't know what could be going on there.

Most reactions

Back