I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
just a few shots with the Oly of the wife's sewing room since she made some equipment changes.

she sold her Singer serger and picked up a Husqvarna serger. now all of her gear is Husqvarna. :mrgreen:
$P6210111.jpg

her recently purchased vintage Husqvarna Viking Model 2000. Circa late 50's.
its a tank of a machine and will easily sew through 1/8th inch leather, or 8-10 layers of fabric when in low gear.
in excellent condition, and runs great. recently CLA'd.
$P6210113.jpg

her new husqvarna machine she bought new last year. her third upgrade in 3 years. was $1200 new, but they gave us a good trade in price on her old machine since it was less than a year old.
$P6210115.jpg

just a random shot of one of her sewing cabinets where she stores stuff.
$P6210117.jpg

Oh you poor poor pitiful fool you. I will pray for you sanity and salvation. My mother-in-law, yes we actually get along well, has a sewing room similar although more elaborate set up. Two different top of the line sewing machines, serger, computer controlled embroidery machine, plus a $300 steam iron, fold down ironing station with it's own power supply and god knows what else. The closet in that room looks like a small fabric shop and indeed here thread cabinet and button/small stuff cabinets came from a fabric store that closed.

Son, you better be buying gear now while the buying is good, cause once they start it's like a freight train rolling down hill. Tell me, how you going to like wearing scrubs to work with little duckies, bunnies and kittens embroidered on them?:mrgreen:

luckily, the wife doesn't do embroidery so... don't really need the expensive embroidery machines.
she mostly quilts. her sewing machine is relatively new with all touch screen controls and some fancy computer controlled sewing features that i am completely oblivious to that she swears are "a life saver".

the older machine wasnt purchased because she needed a second machine, she just wanted something vintage to play with. (besides me apparently)

luckily, the wife doesn't do embroidery so... don't really need the expensive embroidery machines.
she mostly quilts. her sewing machine is relatively new with all touch screen controls and some fancy computer controlled sewing features that i am completely oblivious to that she swears are "a life saver".

the older machine wasnt purchased because she needed a second machine, she just wanted something vintage to play with. (besides me apparently)
Please allow me to rephrase what you stated so that in all probability it will be more accurate: "luckily, the wife doesn't do embroidery"-YET!

Sewing is a lot like woodworking. At some point they get there, just like I avoided as long as I could getting a lathe. Lathes and lathe work is to woodworking as embroidery is to sewing. Word to the wise, when she gets there get her a Mac instead of a PC for it. The Macs seem to work for years longer than the PC's do. I'm not talking hardware wise here, but rather software wise.

Please allow me to rephrase what you stated so that in all probability it will be more accurate: "luckily, the wife doesn't do embroidery"-YET!

Sewing is a lot like woodworking. At some point they get there, just like I avoided as long as I could getting a lathe. Lathes and lathe work is to woodworking as embroidery is to sewing. Word to the wise, when she gets there get her a Mac instead of a PC for it. The Macs seem to work for years longer than the PC's do. I'm not talking hardware wise here, but rather software wise.

we stopped by joanns fabric yesterday on our way back from tiger direct (i needed a video card) and they had some nice embroidery machines that were traded in models.
the biggest problem is that aside from the price tag of the machine itself, you have to buy the software...which was $400 by itself, and does not come with the machine.
her mother has a Bernina embroidery machine. her mom mostly quilts on it tho. the stitch regulator for that thing is $1000, and doesnt even come with the machine...u gotta buy it separate.

I suspect if she does want to try embroidery at some point, she can always go over to her mothers and try a few patterns before investing a ton of money into a machine of her own.

we stopped by joanns fabric yesterday on our way back from tiger direct (i needed a video card) and they had some nice embroidery machines that were traded in models.
the biggest problem is that aside from the price tag of the machine itself, you have to buy the software...which was $400 by itself, and does not come with the machine.
her mother has a Bernina embroidery machine. her mom mostly quilts on it tho. the stitch regulator for that thing is $1000, and doesnt even come with the machine...u gotta buy it separate.

I suspect if she does want to try embroidery at some point, she can always go over to her mothers and try a few patterns before investing a ton of money into a machine of her own.

The good thing is, depending on where you live, she can actually make money with the darn thing. Mom did as it will do the same kind of elaborate embroidery that you pay for at sports shops etc. In a small community the sport shop may be 50 or 100 miles away.

I used to sew my children's clothes until they grew up and decided their classmates/playmates were all wearing "brand" clothes. I ended up doing embroideries on pillow cases, bathroom towels, name it -- it has embroidery -- but hubby stops at me embroidering his back pockets. :confused: :mrgreen:

I just took up photography instead.

Ours were the same way at first until grandma got a little more hip and we made them wear some of the stuff to school. They came home proud of what grandma made, because instead of being "brand name" they were wearing one of a kinds.

I love Mrs. Pix. She is talented and awesome.

Pix, since I can't marry you, can I have your wife instead?? She's so cool!!! :lovey:

I love Mrs. Pix. She is talented and awesome.

Pix, since I can't marry you, can I have your wife instead?? She's so cool!!! :lovey:

Last edited by a moderator:
Take you wife someplace that sells industrial sewing machines and I bet she doesn't go back to Husqvarna. I have nothing against Husqvarna,,, they make great motorcycles. Juki rules the industrial sewing machine business for a reason, get one with a DC motor and they are extremely quiet. My only exception to Juki machines is when it comes to sergers, for those I use Merrow's. Merrow machines are made in the USA and run forever. I recently sent my 52 year old Merrow serger back to them to have new seals installed and it runs like a champ again.
I own/operate a parachute company (cargo chutes) and run sewing machines all day long and I'm a 46 year old man!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back