The Wonderful World of PocketWizards... with an SU800

so to summarize

The Yongnuo radio transmitters 622n (the better and higher priced ones vs the 603n) send the settings of the SU-800 to the remote flashes. Thus the SU-800 no longer needs to be in line of sight and in distance.

So if Nikon flashes (sb600 / sb700) with Yungnuo 622 are out of sight they would take all the setting information from the SU-800?

What control do you lose if you use OCF of the Yongnuo 560 III flash or 568ex w/622 and shoot in Manual mode and use the SU-800 to control flash output?

PocketWizard® - Using your Nikon SU-800 as a Master Controller

Check out this video. I would have to assume that the Yongnuo's work the same as the pocketwizards, but someone else will need to vouch for this.

Regards,
Jake

The Yonguos (both flashes and Wireless units) are reversed engineered to work with OEM technology... and are supposedly pretty close, but not perfect. Reverse engineering seldom duplicates every aspect of the original 100%.

so to summarize

The Yongnuo radio transmitters 622n (the better and higher priced ones vs the 603n) send the settings of the SU-800 to the remote flashes. Thus the SU-800 no longer needs to be in line of sight and in distance.

So if Nikon flashes (sb600 / sb700) with Yungnuo 622 are out of sight they would take all the setting information from the SU-800?

What control do you lose if you use OCF of the Yongnuo 560 III flash or 568ex w/622 and shoot in Manual mode and use the SU-800 to control flash output?

PocketWizard® - Using your Nikon SU-800 as a Master Controller

Check out this video. I would have to assume that the Yongnuo's work the same as the pocketwizards, but someone else will need to vouch for this.

Regards,
Jake

The Yonguos (both flashes and Wireless units) are reversed engineered to work with OEM technology... and are supposedly pretty close, but not perfect. Reverse engineering seldom duplicates every aspect of the original 100%.

Which is to be expected, of course.

Thaat video is actually the reasom i bought a SU-800
Now that i see it again for the umpteenth time it makes more sense that the RT transmits all the SU800 settings to the REmote receivers as the flashes are receiving setting info from the RTs

Charlie- you bring up a good point. If I was a working professional, there would be no question I would be loaded with PW's. As a weekend warrior, the Yongnuo's are consistent. Interestingly, despite my praise for Yongnuo's I'm doing a lingerie shoot this weekend and I'll be using my PW. lol

Pocket wizards are not made by Nikon so... They are a third party item as well.

After buying 3 PW Flex 5s, I'm sold for life on their products. Not saying they do not produce lemons, but man are they reliable. Sure they were expensive but if one goes down I have a backup for a transmitting/receiving at any time. A wise decision goes a long way, good luck.

Charlie- you bring up a good point. If I was a working professional, there would be no question I would be loaded with PW's. As a weekend warrior, the Yongnuo's are consistent. Interestingly, despite my praise for Yongnuo's I'm doing a lingerie shoot this weekend and I'll be using my PW. lol

Agreed! All depends on your needs... and the level of reliability you require!

Dont get me wrong, im not knocking PWs... I just couldn't afford 6 of them when i decided to go to radio triggers.
So far though, i have been pretty impressed with the yongnuo triggers.
Hopefully that trend continues.

I can't afford PW, and have to save up for Yongnuos ....
but I don't want pure junk ... so the Yongnuo's it is.

You should check out the Pixel Opas.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005X6POOS

These things are solid. Obviously, pocket wizards are the elite product, but these are definitely great. It doubles as a wireless shutter release, can sync multiple cameras to fire and has multiple ports (PC, mini USB). I'm not a pro photographer, so I wasn't about to drop the $600-1000 on PWs. Did a lot of research before and cannot be happier with my purchase. They also seem to hold more water than the Yongnuo version. They're also compatible with the King Transmitter. You should check it out

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

PIXEL Opas Wireless Flash Trigger Transceiver for Nikon:Amazon:Camera & Photo

These things are solid. Obviously, pocket wizards are the elite product, but these are definitely great. It doubles as a wireless shutter release, can sync multiple cameras to fire and has multiple ports (PC, mini USB). I'm not a pro photographer, so I wasn't about to drop the $600-1000 on PWs. Did a lot of research before and cannot be happier with my purchase. They also seem to hold more water than the Yongnuo version. They're also compatible with the King Transmitter. You should check it out

Too late.. already pulled the trigger on the pocketwizards. Can't wait to use them!

Never heard of them (which isn't surprising). But how do they stack up to the Yonguos and PWs .. HSS ?

Never heard of them (which isn't surprising). But how do they stack up to the Yonguos and PWs .. HSS ?

Neither have I. I wonder if they are any good?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back