Theater play in very low light

ZapoTeX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of mine is studying at a theater school in Italy and I saw his third year show. The light was extremely low and both intensity and temperature were constantly changing both in over time and across the stage, but I still tried my luck.

C&C very welcome!

Last edited:
Out of the set of 3 pictures, I much prefer picture #1. Excellent composition. I would have done a closer crop as those lights are some what distracting. The lght shinning on there faces is very interesting and holds your interest.

Pic #2 just seems rather poorly composed where those ropes hang right in front of their faces.

Pic #3 could use a closer crop to help bring us more into the scene. Still, an interesting composition with great facial expressions.

Nicely done! I do agree with what Joel said above... and I took the liberty of doing a little work on your shots. Did you de-noise / sharpen these at all? I just cleaned them up a little and cropped..

11.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

Hi Joel and Charlie! Thanks a lot for your comments & edits, I appreciate them hugely!

Regarding #1: I did not crop out the upper-right lights because the back of the actors are in such a position that they would have been cut, but the solution was a smart combination of crop and clone-out, just like Charlie did (thanks)

#2:/#3, the one with ropes: true, the ropes are disturbing, I still liked the "basket like" shape of the subjects. Appreciate your comment!

#3/#2, the one with the faces in pitch black background: totally right on the "air" on the upper part, I should have cropped a lot more aggressively. I see that Charlie left the air on the left, and I can see his point (actors are turned to the left)

De-noising and sharpening: I actually did. De-noising with 25 color and 50 luminance setting on LR4. Concerning sharpening: I'll open a thread about how sharpening works in LR, it's definitely not clear to me. Anyway, I guess I've been a little shy on both fronts.

Thanks again for the precious comments and edits!

Most reactions

Back