There is an evil amonst us...

Why did you NOT straighten the distorted leaning in the photo?

Because it was distorted and leaning on purpose? :)

I don't think they build libraries leaning inward and if the distortion does NOT contribute to the photo, which is the case here, then it should have been corrected. :mrgreen:

skieur

Really? I thought the distortion contributes to the image.

There are a whole heck of a lot of things I see in photography that I do not see in real life... libraries leaning inwards... bridges that look like they are inside of fishbowls... straight buildings that look more like pyrammids... etc.

It's clearly an artistic choice to either intentionally make these things do this or not correct them when the camera does it.

I very specifically chose this angle for a variety of reasons and deliberately picked the widest focal length on my Sigma 10-20 because I knew it would distort the image. Skieur may not like what I've done, but this was EXACTLY what I wanted and I'm personally very pleased with it.

That being said, I'm only strengthening my statement of intent here. I have a lot of respect for skieur and I appreciate his opinion. I just don't happen to agree with it. :)

I think it looks wicked cool. :)

(glad you like it, music!) :)

Well I don't agree with either one of you.

I believe it would benefit from being crooked/straight at the same time. Sorry to rain on anyone's parade.

:lol:

Alternate reality photography!

Wow, that's some killer work my man.

Really? I thought the distortion contributes to the image.

So, how does it contribute to the image......

skieur

My feeling, is that if you corrected the leaning and the perspective, you'd make the library seem smaller, and less grandiose. Having that distortion, where the second story looks larger and more open than it actually is, gives it a big, open feeling, for what otherwise would be a very constricted and cluttered space.

I really like the image with the distortion. It does add a very neat feeling to the image. I can see how it would be a very personal choice (some liking it and others not).

As for the whole person being gone, I did spot it right away, but only because it was the first thing that I would have removed from the image in my own editing.
And I like the computer screen being there. It does show how that the technology intrudes into even the most simple of places.

I noticed her gone, did a great job removing her. I only WISH that I were that good.

I really like the image with the distortion. It does add a very neat feeling to the image. I can see how it would be a very personal choice (some liking it and others not).

As for the whole person being gone, I did spot it right away, but only because it was the first thing that I would have removed from the image in my own editing.
And I like the computer screen being there. It does show how that the technology intrudes into even the most simple of places.

Thanks, Stormin, for your comments. Yeah, as much as I loathed the PC being there I kind of thought the same thing myself... it shows the passage of time, much as the newer books on the slightly less new shelves in the very old room do. Much as the electronic lighting does, for that matter.

My feeling, is that if you corrected the leaning and the perspective, you'd make the library seem smaller, and less grandiose. Having that distortion, where the second story looks larger and more open than it actually is, gives it a big, open feeling, for what otherwise would be a very constricted and cluttered space.

Oh I hadn't actually considered that, but that is an interesting point and I'm glad you got that feel.

What I personally felt it contributed was a sense of disorientation. The place was just so... chaotic... only organized. There was stuff everywhere. Anywhere you looked there would be like 14 different kinds of things... there would be a PC, a 300 year old lithograph of some historical figure made by a famous hand, and some law books... all within the space of 2 feet. It was daunting, yet very beautiful. The colors were beautiful, but when you looked closer you saw real damage from decay and overuse. There was so much... more than I could ever effectively articulate in any reasonable amount of words. I wanted to try to capture that.

I noticed her gone, did a great job removing her. I only WISH that I were that good.

hehe... I get a fair amount of press around here as a heck of a photoshop guy, but generally I don't think I know all that much. That little task, however, was really challenging and I managed to do it in about 45 minutes or so. I have to say I was pretty proud of myself for it. :) Thanks for the compliment! :)

wow! that's quite a shot, beautifuly taken! very good. agreed about the wobbly edges though, especially the electrical conduit. i think the best part is the right edge of the lamp and the left edge of the cart, very well done. i think the space that's supposed to look like empty books would look better with books. it looks a bit like a pixely censorship blob... what was there ;) ?

here's my contribution.

manaheim.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice shot. I spotted it. hehe. hmmmmmmm thats good editing! did you do that from scratch? or another frame?

I agree with the OP. That's a great look and of course thats what he was aiming for. That's the whole idea of a wide angle lens. Fantasy land while retaining straight lines and getting your viewer immersed in the subject.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back