First and foremost, welcome to the forum. You'll learn that this is one of the few forums on the internet where there are no dumb questions so ask away.
The critique section is usually designated for specifc critiques on a single photo. This means that you have a picture but there is something about it you dont like, maybe you've done a terrible job cropping, or no cropping at all (my main problem) and so you post here to get advice on it. Others post to see if certain objects are distracting or not.
So, what are you looking for with this picture, or do you just want general comments on your photo's?
I'll touch on the latter because I dont want this post to avoid your main purpose. I dont really know about this shot. It is a very dramatic black and white :thumbup: with great contrast :thumbup: and IMO, a nice POV:thumbup: . With that being said there is something up with the focus. Your aperture (f/7.1) should give you enough DOF to leave the screw in focus, but it just isn't sharp enough for my taste.:thumbdown: Also there are a lot of blown portions of the photo such as the entire sky a lot of the background, but I'm not sure you could do anything about this consider you were already using a pretty quick shutter speed.
Does this picture have any post processing?
Also I'm not sure the capabilities of the SD550 but considering it is a 7mp camera I'm going to assume it is capable of triggering the flash regardless of light. With this in mind you could fill flash the photo, but that will take out some of the shadows of the bird house, not sure if you want that or not.
Again welcome to the forums, I hope you're ready to learn (and teach).