Thethering nikon camera to ipad problems

Quovadis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Inevitably, I now want to tether my Nikon to a larger screen, so as to be able to see in real time what my shot will look like, and also see my shot after it is taken. I already own an ipad mini 4, and thought this would be economical to use as a screen.
I have researched the ways of tethering dslrs to computers, and if money were no object I would buy a pc or laptop with a full blown 4k monitor. However, this is too cumbersome and too expensive.
I have found a software for IOS called QDSLRDASHBOARD which is an app for ipads, which enables you to see the screen in live view before taking a shot.
I have also bought a wireless adapter for my Nikon d3300 called WU-1a.
To be on the safe side I have also ordered an apple mini lightning cable adapter, should I need to hard wire the nikon to the apple ipad.
So far so good.
Then I started to think, "how in the hell am i going to attach my ipad to my camera tripod?" My camera is on the tripod, I cannot have both.
I then found this gadget which would allow me to attach an ipad on the hot shoe of my nikon.

iPad SLR Camera Mounts : iPad mini 123 SLR Camera Teleprompter Hot Shoe / Tripod Mount Connection + 11" Extension Arm

The problem I have, and cannot figure out, is that the hot shoe of my Nikon has a wireless trigger attached to it, said wireless trigger fires the strobes. Do you guys have a work around for this problem?
Obviously i could put the ipad on a separate tripod next to my camera tripod, but I am trying to reduce anything that touches the ground in my studio, because i have so many light stands, that making my way from the camera to the subject is already like walking through a mine field.
thank you

how does this guy fire his strobes? How do i fit the ipad stand and the trigger on the same hot shoe?

FYI, zip ties and strips of cushioning rubber work exceptional well on adapting fixtures to other things.

I sometimes use LightRoom on a laptop which has a tethering mode.

The Nikon app on an ipad/iphone lets you download a small JPEG sized copy for review if you want to if your camera supports WiFi (I've never tried a physical tether). I'll use this feature to get stuff quickly to FaceBook without having to process things much. The iPhone editing app allows some basic flexibility in image manipulation before uploading.

The term "Tethering" normally means being able to control the camera, not just view what it is seeing. If all you want to do is view the image use LiveView mode and an HDMI cable to a display device and it should display as long as the camera is in LiveView. I don't know what body you are using but according to the manual mine will do that.

Most reactions

Back